Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Treatment Therapies and Medications Parkinson’s Meds Supply Chain Concern

• Parkinson’s Meds Supply Chain Concern

Posted by Robert on February 29, 2020 at 12:14 pm

Does anyone else care about this flu thing interupting the supply of our meds?

I seem to be one the those Parkinsonism people who could not really get by without my pills!  I would be so stiff and slow as to not be able to go to work or drive myself or actually be able to walk properly.  So, I recently convinced my pharmacist to provide me with a 90 day supply on my next renewals of my PD pills (Sinemet, Sinemet ER, Midodrine).   I have several business clients who have told me that their supply chains from the far east are more or less frozen in place until all this flu stuff is sorted out.  I hear that most if not all US used meds are dependent upon the far east for all or at least some of their production!

Robert C

Jo S. replied 4 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Mary Beth Skylis

March 2, 2020 at 8:34 am

I hadn’t thought about this potential glitch, Robert. I sure hope it doesn’t come to that.

I’ve been really disturbed about the way medication access works lately. My roommate broke his leg while rock climbing this week. As the hospital was getting ready to discharge him last night, they told him he needed to take something to prevent blood clots from killing him. But the pharmacy wouldn’t be open for a good 12 hours, during which he should have one dose. He’s okay, and we found a way. But I wonder what it’ll take for us to prioritize health over wealth?

• Jo S.

March 3, 2020 at 4:01 pm

Gosh, I sure hope there isn’t any interruption! With my latest prescription, I also had gotten a 90-day supply (before all this virus stuff started), as it’s actually less expensive for me that way with my insurance. I’m glad I did that, but I’m worried about any problems getting the meds down the road now with all that’s going on.