Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Research Parkinson's as a disability — Policy

• Parkinson's as a disability — Policy

Posted by Russell Wilson on December 24, 2018 at 7:06 am

People might be aware that those with PD are usually found to have the lowest Health-related Quality of Life, often because of the range and severity of “disabilities” they live with. Many might not be comfortable with the label of being disabled, but sometimes we need to face unpleasant realities — if we’re not “disabled” now, we probably will be at some stage in the future — most of us, statistics say, will end our lives not at home but in hospitals or supported living facilities, rather than with any family we might have.

Acknowledging this unpleasant future, what do people say should be incorporated in Disability Strategies that our health services should have?

Where I come from, the Southern District of New Zealand, our local District Health Board has taken on the task of developing such a strategy — for some relevant material, certainly relevant if you’re in NZ

http://bit.ly/russ-disability

Opinions welcome, please!

Deleted User replied 5 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 24, 2018 at 7:34 am

Russell,

Yes, it is a cold hard reality, those of us with PD must face.  I try not to go down that path and focus on living in the moment.  However, I want to thank you for sharing these docs…which do you recommend to  someone who does not live in NZ?