Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Research Nuedextra Off-label Often Prescribed to Treat Parkinson’s

• Nuedextra Off-label Often Prescribed to Treat Parkinson’s

Posted by Forum Moderator on January 25, 2019 at 12:58 pm

An oral medicine approved to treat pseudobulbar affect — involuntary outbursts of laughing or crying — in people with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis or multiple sclerosis is most often prescribed to treat those with Parkinson’s disease or dementia, a study based on U.S. health databases reports. Find out why here.

Are you familiar with this drug? Would you like to know more about its capacity for treating PD?

Deleted User replied 5 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Robert Rister

January 26, 2019 at 1:59 pm

I first became aware of this drug through television advertising. There’s a critical way it could go badly for some people with PD. If you also have inadequately treated sleep apnea, the amphetamine in the drug could make sleep disturbance worse. Aside from its effects on Parkinson’s, in severe cases of apnea the use of the drug could induce narcolepsy. Not everybody should get this drug.

And reading the fine print in one of the studies of Nuedexta for PD, I noticed that the effects of the drug are stopped by cycloserine.  That may suggest that the anti-inflammatory we discussed in another thread may interfere with Nuedexta. All that said, yes, if my doctor, aware of ALL of my medications recommended this, I would be happy to see if I could get it.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    January 26, 2019 at 2:39 pm

That is a scary thought.  I am skeptical of any drug that is advertised on TV. You sound like a well informed patient which I believe is critical in dealing with PD and you do your homework..