• Todd Kitten

January 18, 2021 at 10:19 pm

Hi Ally,

I haven’t experienced more than minor dyskinesia yet, but I expect that will change, so I’m excited to see a drug being tested to treat it. Ketamine is an interesting drug, and I’m surprised at how many uses it’s found. I first became aware of it as a veterinary anesthetic, usually given along with other drugs when used for that purpose.  Then, a few years ago, I heard a news story about it being tested as a treatment for PTSD. Now, dyskinesia. Great. It’s also relatively inexpensive. You could find some negative stories about it if you looked, but those are the result of misuse, so that doesn’t concern me. The only negative I see is that it’s given by injection, and I don’t think it’s long-lasting in its usual form. However, if it seems useful, maybe they will be able to formulate a slow-release version or deliver it through a pump, like insulin. It would be nice to have it as a treatment option.

• Ally

January 19, 2021 at 5:19 pm

Thanks for sharing your perspective, Todd! I had heard of it being misused as party drug many years ago but I’m happy to hear that it has potential benefits for lots of illnesses and symptoms if it’s used properly. In that way it’s similar to MDMA, which has been effective in treating depression, anxiety and PTSD in microdoses.