Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy How will you be celebrating Parkinson’s Awareness Month?

• How will you be celebrating Parkinson’s Awareness Month?

Posted by Mary Beth Skylis on April 11, 2022 at 7:21 pm

It’s April, which is Parkinson’s Awareness Month. Last year, I spent loads of time reading individual people’s stories, and learning about the disease. I hope to continue the tradition by connecting with you all and engaging a little bit extra this month. How will you be celebrating Parkinson’s Awareness Month? Do you have any fun ideas in mind?

Barbara replied 2 years ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Barbara

April 12, 2022 at 6:08 pm

Thought one person could not really do much. I was wrong. Today I went to my library to ask about obtaining Parkinson’s Diva, a book I read about in the Univ of Rochester Clinical Research Center video, specifically made for 2022 Parkinson’s Awareness Month/Day. I was referred to the Adult Services section of the library where a knowledgeable Librarian listened to my explanation of Parkinson’s Awareness Month, agreeing that if I had given earlier notice (my fault) the library would have offered an informative display with appropriate PR. He not only ordered “Parkinson’s Diva, a woman’s perspective on PD”, but also said he would speak with the librarian assigned to the Parkinson’s section of my request to update the library’s PD offerings, stating, “We appreciate our members suggestions, that’s how we improve and grow.” So, one person can indeed do something! I made a calendar note to remember next year.