Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s How do you manage to stay optimistic?

• How do you manage to stay optimistic?

Posted by Mary Beth Skylis on January 30, 2023 at 12:14 pm

Last month, Jamie Askari wrote about embracing optimism despite the constant challenges that Parkinsons provides. As a caregiver, she knows how difficult it can be to stay positive in the face of the disease. But she also thinks that optimism is a key part of staying grounded. 

How do you manage to stay optimistic? Do you ever try to re-frame your experience? Or cultivate humor in the face of hardship?

Christine replied 1 year, 2 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Krukar

January 31, 2023 at 3:42 pm

Mary Beth,

It is difficult to stay positive.  Parkinson’s is a challenge

all  of the time and it does really not get much better. But different strategies come up often . I currently taking the Probiotic Neuralli with some positive effects. I also came close to getting on the Vibrating Glove study. Now I see that a glove may get FDA approval this year. Mary Beth I just keep trying , Praying and that gives me and my wife hope. Blessings, Mike

• Steve Tibbs

January 31, 2023 at 4:33 pm

I still do deejay’s work (which helps me interact with like minded folks.) My voice remains pretty good. I exercise daily and still stay in touch with friends. I also haven’t lost faith that a cure will be found.

• Krukar

January 31, 2023 at 5:09 pm

Steve,

Have you looked at Parkinson’s Voice Project. It is a free On- Line Voice program out of Texas that I have found to be very beneficial for  my voice consistency. Blessings, Mike

• Andrea

February 1, 2023 at 8:33 am

I’m not sure I DO manage to stay optimistic, unfortunately. I tend to be a more “glass half empty” person by nature. Knowing that PD is progressive and relentless, it is hard to keep a positive attitude — so much future uncertainty with this illness. Making decisions (should we move or stay in our house, can we take a trip, what is the state of our marriage with PD living with us) feels nearly impossible.  On top of that, I know I need to appear optimistic for my husband’s sake, as he totally picks up on my moods. Yikes.

• Vrishab Sikand

February 2, 2023 at 2:15 pm

I am one of the caregivers for my dad. I heard that Parkinson effects all the hormones in our brain that are related to happiness. It seems it is hard for him to find a positive attitude. People are him get tired of his pessimism. Some of us don’t realize that being sad is a symptom of Parkinson not a character flaw.
    love to all going through this. Best answers are still movement and activity

• Christine

February 2, 2023 at 4:53 pm

I think it all starts with being grateful for what we do have, and focus on the positive. Then optimism can flow. Every day my husband and I talk to each other about how lucky we are, and try to find joy and humour in our situation.