Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Treatment Diet and Exercise How do you feel about Rock Steady Boxing?

Tagged: ,

• How do you feel about Rock Steady Boxing?

Posted by Mary Beth Skylis on March 25, 2024 at 9:53 am

Before the pandemic, my dad religiously attended Rock Steady Boxing classes. Unfortunately, during that same time frame, his local chapter closed down. So, he hasn’t been able to keep up with it. But I’m always curious to hear about others’ experiences. 

How do you feel about Rock Steady Boxing? 

Edward Fritz replied 2 weeks ago 7 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Cleo

April 6, 2024 at 11:55 am

I was diagnosed with PD 10 years ago. I tried several exercise programs such as yoga & Tai Chi. I found a class by a retired boxing pro and coach, Bret Summers. He uses boxing to help both mind and body. I have been in his class 7 years. We meet through Zoom. I highly recommend him. Call him at 425.760.0742, or [email protected] .

• sandspitbill

April 9, 2024 at 5:58 pm

I was doing Rock Steady three times a week for a couple of years and I felt that I was holding my own and keeping the progression at bay. Unfortunately, I needed shoulder surgery and didn’t recover enough to return to the boxing. As much as I miss the boxing workout I also miss the interaction with the coaches and other Parkies who were in the same situation. There was lots of laughter. Misery likes company.

• NanaLisa

April 10, 2024 at 8:25 am

I love Rock Steady Boxing. I always feel much move vibrant and full of energy when I leave. Being with my RSB community always lifts my spirits, the coaches keep the elements of the circuit interesting changing up the stations regularly and adding fun to the morning. The power of boxing helps ignite dopamine. RSB covers more than boxing, we stretch, we sometimes have stations that focus on large and small motor skills needed for daily living. The coaches really care about each of us. I can’t recommend Rock Steady Boxing enough!!!

• Ricky Adams

April 11, 2024 at 3:12 pm

Well said NanaLisa! I could not agree more nor said it any better. I’ve been in RSB 2+ years and, though I’ve nothing to compare it to, I’ve “progressed” very little in my symptoms. Is that due to RSB? Not sure but if nothing else between the camaraderie and the various stretching / core exercises I always feel better after a session (ours is 2x week for 1.5 hr).

• Edward Fritz

April 13, 2024 at 5:20 pm

I agree with NanaLisa as well.

Rock Steady Boxing is one of the most fun exercise programs I’ve ever been involved in! Everyone from newly-diagnosed to advanced stage PD can participate, and the workouts can be very intense for those who still have minimal symptoms. The instructors are great and very creative. Never thought I’d be going regularly for boxing training at 73 years of age!

I’m less than 2 year’s diagnosed, so I can still move pretty well and hit the bags really hard. I haven’t felt this well in years, and give a lot of credit for this to RSB. That being said, I think the camaraderie and friendships I’ve made through RSB are even more responsible for keeping me healthy both physically and mentally than anything else I do.

In my opinion, all PWP should go to a RSB program several days per week. I can’t imagine having the same quality of life without it!

• frito

April 11, 2024 at 4:26 pm

Will also echo the above replies. Been involved twice weekly for about 12 months. Hard to judge what RSB has done but always feel energized upon completion. Have met many wonderful people and the coaches are so committed. Never been a “joiner” but so glad I did.