Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s How do you dress for medical appointments?

• How do you dress for medical appointments?

Posted by Ally on September 15, 2022 at 4:16 pm

I was thinking about how some people really dress up to travel by plane, while others favour comfort and show up in very casual (and typically stretchy) clothing.

What’s your style for medical appointments? Do you dress up or dress casually? Do you dress differently depending on the setting – e.g., hospital vs. smaller clinic? What other factors contribute to your clothing choices?

Ally replied 1 year, 1 month ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • MaryAnn Cavanaugh

September 16, 2022 at 8:59 am

I dress in every day casual attire, jeans, tee shirts, and closed flats or sneakers. I want my MDS to be  able to evaluate me walking and doing the other tasks she has me do in as normal a setting as possible.

• Kathy Bloomberg-Rissman

September 20, 2022 at 3:59 pm

It never occurred to me that I should dress differently for appointments. I wear the same stretchy pants or shorts, a t shirt and sandals.  I also fly in them and lie about the house in them.  I’ve become one of those “old” ladies in my pull on pants.  However they’re the only thing that doesn’t hurt my abdomen when the constipation gets really painful.

• Simmon Belka

February 1, 2023 at 8:51 am

When it comes to med appointments, I think comfort is key. I usually go for something casual and easy to move around in, esp if I know I’ll be getting probed and prodded. Still, I can’t part with my suspenders from https://www.gentlemansguru.com/product-category/accessories/suspenders/. Some folks like to dress up, esp if they’re going to a deluxe clinic or they’re just feeling fancy themselves. It’s all about personal preferences.

• Ally

March 2, 2023 at 3:14 pm

Thanks for sharing, Simmon. Comfort is key for me too (in all situations) but you’re totally right – it all comes down to personal preference. 🙂 Thanks for the suspender rec, too!