Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Family and ​Caregivers​ How can we help with freezing episodes?

• How can we help with freezing episodes?

Posted by mary-beth-skylis on January 8, 2020 at 6:15 am

While I was hanging out with my Dad (diagnosed in 2013) around Christmas, I noticed that his freezing episodes only seem to occur when he’s trying to avoid obstacles like our Christmas presents around the tree. Which led me to wonder if we can minimize freezing.

Do you think there are ways we can help our loved one with freeing episodes as a caregiver? Have you ever adjusted the layout of your furniture or taken other measures to help prevent freezing?

chris-manning replied 4 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • chris-manning

January 9, 2020 at 4:46 pm

Freezing is one of the most annoying symptoms of Parkinson’s. There are few things more frustrating than to be standing, unable to move as the elevator doors close or the phone in the other room is ringing and you can’t get to it. I have tried every way of getting over the problem suggested by various neurologists, physiotherapists and university professors. Freezing of gait (FOG) is the result of the degeneration of the neurons in the substantia negra which are responsible for initiating movement. The only way to start moving is either to use some cue, for example, through the use of a laser pointer, or simply by concentrating on walking, in other words, giving your brain time to use another neural pathway since the automatic response is no longer available.

• mary-beth-skylis

January 10, 2020 at 9:36 am

Thanks for your thoughts, Chris. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be. I’ve read about people using rhythm (like humming a song) to help with freezing. And my Dad (diagnosed in 2013) thinks that focusing on his posture (elongating his spine) and leaning forward cues him to get moving. Have you found any ways to manage freezing?

• jill-barden

January 10, 2020 at 2:17 pm

Check out Dr. Sarah King’s website for her video on the “5 S” method of reducing freezing of gait in PD:

https://www.invigoratept.com/blog//how-to-get-unstuck-from-a-parkinsons-freezing-episode-the-5s-method

While you’re there, you’ll also find a plethora of other free videos and articles on a variety of PD-related topics! Besides being an awesome Parkinson’s PT, Sarah is a passionate advocate for people living with PD.

Keep Calm and PWR! on!

• mary-beth-skylis

January 14, 2020 at 9:23 am

Hey Jill,

It’s interesting that my Dad has discovered some of those tips for himself. When he freezes, he starts to target his posture right away. He thinks it’s easier to get out of a freeze when his back is straight. Thanks for the suggestion.

• chris-manning

January 14, 2020 at 3:54 pm

I agree – Sarah King is really great.

Here is another website that has some ideas that may help:

https://parkinsonsdisease.net/living-with-pd/overcoming-freeze/