Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Symptoms and Progression Have you experienced “pins and needles” in your fingers?

• Have you experienced “pins and needles” in your fingers?

Posted by Deleted User on November 1, 2019 at 6:33 am

It seems like every time I turn around, I have some weird thing going on with my body. Is it PD, age?  Once or twice a day, I get numbness and pins and needles (also called Paresthesia) in my left fingers (left side is my PD most affected side).

Have you experienced this symptom?  What did you do about it? How often does it happen to you?

Deleted User replied 4 years, 5 months ago 6 Members · 24 Replies
  • 24 Replies
  • betty-d

November 1, 2019 at 3:32 pm

I had DBS a year ago and, since them, have experienced several “weird“ symptoms. I do have pins and needles in my fingers . This started soon after the DBS surgery, and it has progressed to the point that my hands look like the hands of someone with Raynaud’s syndrome . But blood tests don’t bear that out.

• Karla Burkhart

November 5, 2019 at 9:22 am

I have more trouble with my toes than with my fingers. I have not DBS. There are so many strange symptoms with PD that made it hard to diagnose. The tingling, numbness, and pain are hard to live with.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
        November 5, 2019 at 4:04 pm

Hi Karla.  I agree, there are way too many symptoms with this disease!   I think my balance on left leg is getting worse due to the numbness at the outskirts of the sole of my left foot

• Deleted User

Deleted User
        November 5, 2019 at 4:04 pm

Hi Karla.  I agree, there are way too many symptoms with this disease!   I think my balance on left leg is getting worse due to the numbness at the outskirts of the sole of my left foot

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    November 1, 2019 at 3:34 pm

Betty

I have not had DBS, so i cannot attribute my pins and needles to that.  Overall, are you happy with your DBS results?

• betty-d

November 1, 2019 at 4:02 pm

Hi Jean,

I don’t think my DBS has had a fair chance.  In the one year since having the surgery, I’ve had other ailments that have kept me feeling pretty poorly. And I’m having difficulty knowing what is not or might be a side effect of the DBS.  I am particularly curious about nerve pains like pins and needles.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    November 1, 2019 at 5:36 pm

betty, i am sorry for your struggles. have you heard of peripheral neuropathy?  (https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/peripheral-neuropathy/symptoms-causes/syc-20352061)

my p/t mentioned it since i told her my balance is worsening on my left side.  sometimes the outer edges of my left foot cannot feel the floor.

• hallman

November 4, 2019 at 3:27 pm

Pins and needles in my fingers as well as a lot of pain in my elbow and forearm had me going to an upper extremity doctor.  I thought I had hyperextended my elbow while getting into bed but no amount of p/t had helped to alleviate the pain.  So the doctor sent me to the neurologist to get an EMG thinking it might be a pinched nerve.  Everything was fine but the neurologist noticed my hand tremor an eventually diagnosed me with PD at age 42.  I had 4 hip surgeries on my right side before age 40 ending with a THR.  I thought my hand tremor was how my body responded to pain, boy was I mistaken.  Anyways, I’m thankful for the neurologist spotting my tremor.  The doctor did eventually give me a steroid injection in my elbow but it only gave me relieve for about a month and came to conclude it was PD, so just dealing with the pain.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      November 4, 2019 at 6:16 pm

Chris. U sound like u have been through the wringer.  Although being told u have pd is not such a great thing, however I am glad u found a neuro who figured out what the root problem was

• hallman

November 4, 2019 at 8:15 pm

Hi Jean.  You are right, PD isn’t what you want to hear at all.   These last 7 months or so have been difficult to wrap my mind around the diagnosis.  However, after going through the symptoms and researching PD it does at least give me an answer.  It’s not just in my head anymore.  Thank you for the words of support.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      November 4, 2019 at 8:18 pm

After I was first diagnosed, I went for 7 ‘second opinions’ as I could not believe I had this disease.  When I got my datscan, it finally convinced me when I saw how ‘unlit’ my brain was compared to a normal scan.

Hang in there chris, u r not alone…..

• michael-r-scott

November 5, 2019 at 9:19 am

Good Morning Jean,

I get mine in my left hand and wrist about 30 minutes before my next scheduled dose of Sinemet ER (50/200) and it goes away roughly 30 minutes after. If I take two 25/100’s, it goes away faster. If I forget and go over, that same numbness begins to show up in my left foot and ankle as well…. I’ve come to call it “My little reminder”…..

Mike

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      November 5, 2019 at 3:59 pm

Hi mike

thanks for sharing.   What a great way to be reminded your next dose is due !  Lol. Unfortunately there is no rhyme or reason to when I get pins and needles 🙁

• melba-w-benson

November 5, 2019 at 10:26 am

Jean, my neurologist prescribed over the counter Lidocaine 4% for my paresthesia symptoms as you described, and it works great.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      November 5, 2019 at 4:01 pm

Hi Melba.  Have you always had the pins and needles ? Any side effects?

• michael-r-scott

November 5, 2019 at 1:18 pm

Chris,
    Your experience is similar to mine. Two hip surgeries on my right and finally one on my left. But, get this, in recovery for my left, the nurse handed me some ice water and I took it with my left hand which immediately began shaking scattering ice water all over the place. The recovery nurse asked me “Hoe long have you had that “? My answer “About 10 Seconds ago”! Needless to say, it got very quiet in recovery. My PD diagnosis was several months later….
    Mike

• hallman

November 5, 2019 at 4:47 pm

Mike,

The shaking in my right hand began after one of my hip surgeries, I can’t remember which.  It started mild and only when I was in a lot of pain or when my anxiety was high but steadily became more often.  I recently read about a case where a person came out of surgery but couldn’t move.  It took a while but he slowly began moving again and was eventually diagnosed with PD.  They were looking at whether the anesthesia triggered his PD.  Something to keep an eye on.  Thank you for sharing your story with me.

Chris

• hallman

November 5, 2019 at 4:53 pm

Does anyone lose feeling in their toes?  Oftentimes one or two of my middle toes will be numb, like they are asleep and I can’t feel them or move them.  If I sit in a hard or rigid chair my toes usually go numb.  Just curious if anyone deals with this as well.  Thanks

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      November 5, 2019 at 4:58 pm

Chris, I think my balance on left side is affected by numbness on outer parts of the sole on the left foot.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      November 5, 2019 at 4:58 pm

Chris, I think my balance on left side is affected by numbness on outer parts of the sole on the left foot.

• betty-d

November 5, 2019 at 7:23 pm

Hi Jean, I have indeed heard of peripheral neuropathy. I’ve been diagnosed as having it, though the diagnosis is far from clear.  Nerve pain in the extremities can be caused by many things, including spine problems.  I am trying to eliminate some of those  before accepting the pn diagnosis, which can be pretty awful.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      November 5, 2019 at 8:05 pm

Hi Betty. Even though I have multiple second opinions that all indicated pd, I am still trying to rule out sleep apnea and thyroid issues that could be causing my horrible fatigue.   Something tells me my fatigue is related to pd.  🙁

you r wise to rule out other issues ,  I wish u luck.

• melba-w-benson

November 7, 2019 at 10:16 am

Jean, I had the pins and needles sensation for 2 years before being diagnosed properly by the 4th neurologist I went to.  Thankfully the 4th neurologist prescribed the over the counter Lidocaine 4%.  So far it has worked perfectly.  Where I have the sensations are on my forearms and on the calves of my legs.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      November 7, 2019 at 3:33 pm

Melba. I am always amazed to see how all of our pd journeys are so different. Sounds like u have an attentive neurologists