• Have you experienced PD hallucinations?

Posted by Mary Beth Skylis on October 7, 2020 at 8:06 am

I recently learned that those who struggle with Parkinsons may also experience hallucinations. According to Parkinsons.org, 20-40% of PD patience experience hallucinations. This may be due to excessive dopamine in the brain.

My Dad (diagnosed in 2013) has yet to experience any such thing. But I’m curious about your experience. Have you experienced hallucinations? If so, what were they like? If not, is this something that worries you?

Don Weber replied 3 years, 6 months ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Roy

October 8, 2020 at 8:55 pm

I have had very vivid dreams for many years, even before my diagnosis of PD. What I have had in the past year is equally vivid, but I also don’t recognize my own home. For example, last night I dreamt that a bald man had set my legs on fire. I jumped out of bed when normally I need my wife’s assistance to get out of bed safely. But, in the throes of the dream, I moved without problem. Once up, I started looking for a bathroom. I even walked through the door to my master bathroom, but didn’t see it as my bathroom. Once my wife walked me to the bathroom and turned on a light, I knew where I was. She did have to have me examine my legs for lack of burns before I would believe that  the bald man scenario was not real. So, is that a vivid dream, a hallucination, or too much medicine? I don’t know, but it is scary for both my wife and me.

• dinah brooks

October 9, 2020 at 7:55 am

I also had vivid dreams before my diagnosis 19 years ago. sometimes I would wake my husband with a blood curdling scream and unless he thought I might hurt myself , he left well alone. sometimes I would remember a
    dream where I was being pursued by armed gangs out to kill me or some such. Other times I couldn’t remember a thing.
    nowadays I have a mixture of dreams and mild hallucinations.Often I am convinced that there is a third person in the bedroom, usually my auntie Maggy (many years passed)but I never see the face. At times I can hear her moving about downstairs, which is odd because we live in a bungalow! I also feel at times that I must get up and go to school, or that i have food to prepare. It is a very strong compulsion, and I have to talk myself into some sense.
    A few months ago, I went into the kitchen at 3.00 (a m) and made a pile of sandwiches, taking bread out of the freezer, hardboilng eggs and leaving everything clean and tidy. I knew as I was doing it that it was a pointless exercise, but I went on just the same.
    My husband and I had a lovely prepared lunch that day!
    It is quite scary if you think about it too much.
    Its rather like a waking dream.
    By the way, my back is much straighter than in the daytime when I go to the loo at night. sounds impossible
    but there is a lesson there if only I could find it.

• Judy Eaton

October 10, 2020 at 9:34 am

I have been diagnosed for a year and about 3months after starting Mardopa, I began having hallucinations at night.
    I often find “my dog beside me” (she sleeps downstairs).
    I see people in the room and recently found” my ex husband of 34 years beside me in bed”.
    That was such a shock. Once I turn on the light, they disappear – unsurprisingly!
    These are not dreams. I am wide awake. So, it’s comforting to find others experience similarly.

• Don Weber

October 14, 2020 at 10:06 pm

I had visions of my grand daughter doing dangerous things in our house. I would yell at her stop as should get hurt. These could happen any time of the day. My wife brought me out of this by pointing out the grand daughter was not in the house. The girl was between 2 and 5 years old and the years between 2013 and 2016. The grand sons never were a part of these visions. The boys were 4 and 8 years older than the grand daughter. I was first  diagnose by my Pain Doctor in 2018,and by a Neurologist in 2019. My medical history is bad from 1990 to the present time. (3 Back operations 1993-Kidney Cancer 2003-2 Back operations 2004- Right Knee Replacement 2005- Spinal Stimulator 2006 -Hernia Repair 2007 – Repair Left Knee 2013 – Pace Maker 2017 – P.D. Diagnose 2019). Don Weber