Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Treatment Therapies and Medications Have you ever hit the Medicare prescription coverage ‘gap’ or ‘donut hole’?

• Have you ever hit the Medicare prescription coverage ‘gap’ or ‘donut hole’?

Posted by Deleted User on June 22, 2019 at 8:12 am

I just hit this gap and found out since my PD meds prescription was $60 vs. $6.  This was a bit of a shock I was not prepared for.  Have you ever hit this gap?

Donna K replied 1 year ago 6 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Alex

April 3, 2023 at 6:11 am

I will get Medicare this year and see what I will get

• Sherman Paskett

April 4, 2023 at 3:46 pm

This is an old post, but one of the many changes to Medicare last year was a change that is intended to reduce the donut hole. I hit it last year. You have to be very careful picking your Part D prescription plan. Medicare has a very good webpage that will help you with that — it tells you what your projected prescription costs will be, but that assumes there are no changes in your meds. If your doctor switches you from C/L to Rytary mid-year, for example, be prepared for a shock.

• Oliver stone

April 5, 2023 at 8:25 am

My answer is late but I just wanted to say that I’m sorry to hear that you hit the Medicare prescription coverage gap. It can be frustrating to suddenly have to pay more out of pocket for medications. In terms of resources, I recommend checking out Reverse Health. They have a lot of information on Medicare coverage and can help you navigate the complexities of the system. They also offer a variety of tools and services to help you save money on your prescriptions.
    It’s really important to use any opportunity to save money nowadays because everything’s just too expensive.

• Barbara Ford

April 10, 2023 at 6:28 pm

The last couple of years- since I have been on Rytary, I have hit the donut hole in the Medicare medication plan.

• Bert Shure

April 11, 2023 at 2:37 pm

I hit it hard with Rytary and a blood thinner called Eloquis.

I always ssk my oncologist and cardiologist if I can eliminate or reduce dosages of the drugs I’m taking.  I got off the blood thinners in return for getting a Loop Recorder under the skin in my chest. It measures heart activity, and transmits to my phone. The phone talks to the mother ship, and Bye, Bye to the blood thinners.

It is hard to believe that Medicare Part D started during the George W. Bush presidency.

• Donna K

April 11, 2023 at 4:23 pm

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I hit it in May last year, and I will again this year. It’s really devastating to finances. I’m in a Medicare advantage plan.  Drug costs are really terrible. For me it’s the inhaler and the liver med that are 🤑.  My retirement wish was to see the Grand Canyon, but I wonder if that will happen.</p>