Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Have you considered getting a service dog?

• Have you considered getting a service dog?

Posted by mary-beth-skylis on February 12, 2020 at 6:00 am

I’m infamous for attempting to convince everyone to get a dog. My love for the animals is unmatched. But, recently I’ve been thinking about how dogs love us back to health. I read that service dogs can assist with the management of Parkinson’s symptoms like freezing and imbalance. And I’ve wondered if it’s time for my Dad to get a service dog.

Have you considered getting a service dog? What are your greatest concerns regarding getting a pet? If you have a dog (or a service dog), have they made a difference in your life?

lakar replied 2 months, 3 weeks ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • jeffery-hill

February 12, 2020 at 5:50 pm

Our family just committed to purchasing a puppy, which we will pick up in 4 weeks. It’s an Australian Shepherd, one of the most intelligent breeds out there.  I hadn’t considered training her to be my Service Dog.  Mary Beth, do you have any information on the specific training involved?

• mary-beth-skylis

February 12, 2020 at 7:20 pm

Horray!!

I want to get a puppy too. I love Australian Shepherds. They’re very smart and easy to train. But tons of energy! As for training, I know you can take your dog to a professional to have them learn strict service training. That option can be quite expensive, which is a deterrent for alot of people. The rules vary by state. But I think that it’s possible to train your dog and to still get it certified as a service dog. So, you can teach it all of the appropriate strategies and then work with the officials to get the paperwork. I bet it wouldn’t be tough to train and Aussie. But I’m still working on my Dad! He hasn’t caved yet. Why are you landing on that particular breed?

• alex-ivanosvski

January 23, 2024 at 2:02 pm

We started to think about it. Any particular recommendations?

• lakar

January 23, 2024 at 2:31 pm

I completely understand the love for dogs and the incredible impact they can have on our lives. Service dogs can indeed provide remarkable support for managing specific health conditions.

When considering a service dog, I’d do thorough research and consult with professionals to ensure an appropriate match. Here I can recommend looking through https://petsylife.com/ and finding the needed services in your area.

Speaking about the concerns of pet ownership, they can vary, but I think the most common are time commitment, financial responsibility, or potential allergies.