Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Mary Beth Skylis
      Keymaster

I’m infamous for attempting to convince everyone to get a dog. My love for the animals is unmatched. But, recently I’ve been thinking about how dogs love us back to health. I read that service dogs can assist with the management of Parkinson’s symptoms like freezing and imbalance. And I’ve wondered if it’s time for my Dad to get a service dog.

Have you considered getting a service dog? What are your greatest concerns regarding getting a pet? If you have a dog (or a service dog), have they made a difference in your life?

Jeffery Hill
      Participant

Our family just committed to purchasing a puppy, which we will pick up in 4 weeks. It’s an Australian Shepherd, one of the most intelligent breeds out there.  I hadn’t considered training her to be my Service Dog.  Mary Beth, do you have any information on the specific training involved?

Mary Beth Skylis
      Keymaster

Horray!!

I want to get a puppy too. I love Australian Shepherds. They’re very smart and easy to train. But tons of energy! As for training, I know you can take your dog to a professional to have them learn strict service training. That option can be quite expensive, which is a deterrent for alot of people. The rules vary by state. But I think that it’s possible to train your dog and to still get it certified as a service dog. So, you can teach it all of the appropriate strategies and then work with the officials to get the paperwork. I bet it wouldn’t be tough to train and Aussie. But I’m still working on my Dad! He hasn’t caved yet. Why are you landing on that particular breed?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2020 All rights reserved.

©2020 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account