Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Has a pet dog, cat (fill in the blank) helped you in dealing with PD?

Tagged: , ,

• Has a pet dog, cat (fill in the blank) helped you in dealing with PD?

Posted by Deleted User on August 28, 2018 at 8:44 am

My rescued bunny, Budgie, has given me solace.    Although he is a lot of work, he does bring joy to my life and gives me a reason to get out of bed in the morning (to feed him).  My pet’s love for me is unconditional (as long as I have food in my hand LOL).  When I have very bad days, I will lay on the floor with Budgie and he will jump on top of me to play and cuddle.  Other times, he will thump loudly to express his displeasure that I am not happy.

Do you have pet that has helped you through your bad days?  If you do, post a photo of him/her and share your story.

Annie replied 2 years, 3 months ago 6 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Marlyne Wilder

November 26, 2021 at 12:21 am

My pet cat, Adam, follows me throughout the house and watches me. This started in earnest about 6 months ago.  Our favorite spot is me lounging on the sofa with Adam curled tightly up against me.  I’m frequently reaching down to pet him.  It’s therapeutic for me and I’m sure he senses my need for him.

• John Citron

January 10, 2022 at 8:09 am

My cat Mel does the same. She sits with me, watches me, sleeps with me with her face right at mine. When I’m not around close by, she MOWs (pronounced like COWs) then meows softly when I go see what she wants then flops over on the bed!

She’s also bossy and lets me know when she wants something including quiet times when she just sits quietly as I pet her.

Sadly, she’s very elderly and if anything happens, I plan on getting another cat. I have always had a cat or two in my life.

• Roy

January 11, 2022 at 3:30 pm

My husband depends on our dog, Louie, a miniature schnauzer to keep him company when he is up and down through the night. As Roy wanders in and out of the bedroom, Louie’s eyes follow him. When he is ready to go back to bed, his dog is waiting for him and cuddles up close. When Roy is anxious, petting Louie calms him down. PD keeps Roy pretty isolated, but he always has his best buddy a step or two away. Louie is an elderly boy and it will be a very sad day when we lose him. Roy will never be ready for that day, but we’ll be getting another dog to take over Louie’s job of being there to love Roy at all times. He is the best boy!

• Alan M

January 11, 2022 at 3:38 pm

I luv the story about Budgie.  Sounds like a kewl pet, Jean!  When he thumps his hind leg is Budgie sort of like a “mood barometer” for you?  Is he telling you he’s upset because you’re upset?  Any thoughts?

• Annie

January 13, 2022 at 12:42 pm

I have a cat who was living in the roof of a house that I rented. It took a few months for him to move “downstairs” from the roof cavity to become a pampered much loved pet. His name is Roofus. We have since moved and he graciously allows me to live with him in our new house. He keeps me amused and entertained and also keeps an eye on me. When I get up at night he appears and accompanies me to the bathroom. During winter he sleeps on my bed and in summer he claims the spare bed as his own. Wherever I am, he knows and is by my side if anything happens. I am very grateful for his company.
    Not sure how to upload a photo.