• Focused Ultrasound Questions

Posted by Martin Tessmer on August 22, 2022 at 11:29 am

Has anyone received Focused Ultrasound to treat their tremors? My wife is seriously interested in it, but she would like to hear more from patients who have taken it. Did FUS work for you? How long did the treatment take? How (un) comfortable was the MRI process? Thanks!

Jan replied 1 year, 8 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Lori DePorter

August 23, 2022 at 8:34 am
  • Jan

August 23, 2022 at 3:15 pm

I have not had a FUS procedure but keep in mind that FUS is just the technology used; it’s a general term and there are a variety of specific PD procedures that could be done using FUS. It’s sort of like asking about laparoscopic surgery, which is a very general term, instead of specific laparoscopic procedures such as appendectomy or gall bladder removal. There is a Facebook group that’s all about the various FUS procedures for PD, so you may want to join that for more info (though keep in mind that the moderators are strong advocates of having FUS PTT at Sonimodul in Switzerland). I’ve talked to my MDS neurologist about it and he questioned whether there are any peer-reviewed studies to back up the Sonimodul claims and also why the main marketing mechanism is a Facebook group. So do the research and proceed with caution. There is a clinical study underway in the USA for bilateral FUS PTT but it allows a very limited number of participants and to the best of my knowledge all of the sites are already full.