Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Facial “ticks” and tongue tremors

• Facial “ticks” and tongue tremors

Posted by Alan M on April 30, 2024 at 10:53 pm

Can anyone on this forum relate to this PD symptom?

Since July 2023, I’ve started noticing my tongue tremoring! What is that about, you may ask? My tongue began trusting back/forth in my mouth tapping up against the back of my incisors. What a pain in the arse this has become.

Along with this, I begun to develop what I refer to as “a roaming mandibular”. My jaw shifts routinely from side to side, especially when I try concentrating on something or when I strain myself lifting heavy, etc.

I don’t believe the latter is associated with the “stone face” syndrome some folks have mentioned. Does this make any sesne?

Garry Bodenham replied 5 days, 15 hours ago 6 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Anna60

May 2, 2024 at 10:02 am

I have internet tremors where my tongue shakes.

It got so bad that I went to the emergency department at my local hospital. That’s when I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease.

The medication Carbidopa levodopa helps…but I still have the tremors in my tongue slightly..no I don’t have a mandible shake.

• Alan M

May 7, 2024 at 6:48 pm

Thanx for the informative reply, Anna. Slainte!

• Maz

May 2, 2024 at 2:13 pm

I have had tongue tremors for a year. My neurologist diagnosed them as tardive dyskinesia, a side effect of l- dopa. I have tried all available medications, with no luck. They are awful.

• Fred1975

May 2, 2024 at 2:39 pm

Yes I can totally relate to both the tongue and jaw tremors. I experienced even before my diagnosis. So I feel it is definitely a symptom and not dyskinesia caused by medication. And yes consentrating on something makes it worse. When I use scissors to cut something my jaw moves back and forth with the motion if the scissors opening and closing. The tounge tremors are annoying as well.

Pay attention to when they are worse, near end of dose or beginning of dose. Likely it is near end dose and may need to discuss with your doctor about increasing doses or reducing time between doses.

• Alan M

May 7, 2024 at 6:53 pm

Hey Fred. I know you likely didn’t mean your reply to my initial query to be comical, but I had to giggle about the scissors thingy. I envision my eldest son at age 4 trying to scissor paper with his we tongue protruding in/out as he tried. Hilarious recollection! Thanks for the memories…

• Lana

May 2, 2024 at 4:14 pm

I was misdiagnosed with PD. When I got a 2nd opinion because I had symptoms that weren’t typical of Parkinson’s. My tongue moves in my mouth constantly and I find it protruding out of mouth and back in. I also have the jaw movement like yourself. My current Neurologist, diagnosed me as having Tardive Dyskinesia. The symptoms between the two can be very similar. Tardive Dyskinesia is a long term side effect from taking antidepressants in the past. My recommendation to you, is get a 2nd opinion. I regret waiting 4 years to get ons. I wish you the best in finding the correct answers and the care that you need.

• Alan M

May 7, 2024 at 6:50 pm

Thank you for your cordial reply, Lana! Very interesting. I shall approach my Neuro for a “2nd opinion” as suggested.

• Garry Bodenham

May 11, 2024 at 8:24 am

I experience lower jaw tremor – in fact I noticed it occasionally when under stress before I was diagnosed. In addition I now also experience “slack jaw” especially when driving.