• Posted by Barbara Ernest on October 16, 2020 at 11:28 am

My daughter in law is a neurologist and suggested I try Dopatropic as an over the counter supplement for my PD. It was recommended by another neurologist colleague of hers. Has anyone tried it. I am taking it twice daily with my morning and noon meds. Because of Covid 19, I have not seen my regular neurologist to discuss its use.

Barbara Ernest replied 3 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Beth

October 16, 2020 at 2:01 pm

Hi, I take Mucuna Pruriens (which is what dopatropic is) in the evening after my regular last dose of Carbidopa-Levodopa in order to be able to still walk around. My neurologist doesn’t like me to do this but I feel desperate and need to be active in the evening.
    I have found that there is a good deal of variation in the strength of Mucuna Pruriens and a brand that I can rely on is Barlowe’s Herbal Elixirs (Brown Indian) Extract 650mg. I take one capsule and it helps me for at least 4 hours.
    I have tried Banyan brand Mucuna and it did nothing for me at all even when I doubled the dose, which I tried several times.

• Barbara Ernest

October 16, 2020 at 6:31 pm

Thanks for the reply. My daughter in law who I mentioned is a neurologist recommended not taking after 4pm as it might cause sleep issues. I take a combination of regular carbidopa-levadopa and the ER version 3 times a day plus two ER at bedtime. I recently read about the study recommending not taking my PD meds at meal time. So i take the dopatropic with my meds a half hour minimum before,breakfast and an hour after lunch. Have not tried in the evening. I take a 1/2 tsp in juice.