Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Symptoms and Progression Does the extreme heat and humidity exacerbate your symptoms?

• Does the extreme heat and humidity exacerbate your symptoms?

Posted by Deleted User on July 20, 2019 at 6:00 am

The weather has been very hot and humid where I live and I thought my fatigue was bad before, now it is really bad and I wonder if it is the temperature extremes.  Does the hot weather affect you?  If so, how?

Deleted User replied 4 years, 7 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Lou Hevly

July 29, 2019 at 10:54 am

In Manresa (50km NW of Barcelona) it stays in the 90s through most of July and August (the price we pay for lovely sunny winters), but it doesn’t have any affect on my main symptom, RLS.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    July 29, 2019 at 2:35 pm

lou, i bet you look forward to the winters 🙂

• Tracy

August 3, 2019 at 6:51 pm

Thank you for this post. I’m glad to know I’m not alone. Fatigue is my worst symptom and YES, the heat is a challenge. If I’m in temperatures between 65-75 it’s like a kettle on the stove turned on low. The heat will wear me down and drain me if my energy at a slower pace. 75-90 and the heats turned up to medium. Anything above 90 and I feel like a sink full of water that someone’s pulled the plug and I’m on fast drain. I can literally feel the energy being sucked from my body in a matter of minutes. Here’s an example of medium heat. The temperature cooled down to mid-seventies and I ate dinner on back patio then played cards. I was outside about 20-30 minutes when I realized I couldn’t count or add 2+2 while trying to keep score. My mind was blank. When it’s high 80’s or hotter, my boss let’s me work from home. I’m in the basement where it’s 65. I love being outside and have always loved the heat. This is my first summer having to deal with these challenges. It’s killing me to not get outside. But on the flip side, I love to downhill ski in the winter. We went several times last winter and I did just fine.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    August 3, 2019 at 6:53 pm

Hi Tracy. I was thinking my pd was progressing but perhaps it is the temp. Extremes.   You describe it very well.  Here in NY, it has been the hottest July in years with many days over 90 plus high humidity.  I look forward to crisp fall days in the 60s.  Heck, I will take 70s ?

• Bob Hodgson

September 4, 2019 at 2:07 pm

Perhaps someone can verify this but I was told that the extreme heat impacts the effectiveness of the carbidopa-levodopa. I notice that in high heat that I seem to need more medication. So from that perspective my symptoms are worse in higher heat levels.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      September 4, 2019 at 2:25 pm

interesting.  i did notice on the high heat/humidity days, my fellow boxers in Rock Steady Boxing were all suffering as well.

• Mike P

September 4, 2019 at 2:24 pm

I’m the opposite. I can go for a run when it’s 90°F with 85% humidity. I can’t tolerate the cold. If I start to get cold with combined stress I get the shivers easily. It’s hard to not appear to be a human sewing machine when attending my kids’ soccer and baseball games late fall or early spring in New England. Multiple base layers of merino wool help.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      September 4, 2019 at 1:54 pm

mike

thanks for sharing.  the extreme cold hits me hard too, although i think for me, extreme heat/humidity is worse