Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Do you live in a Dementia-Friendly/Parkinson’s Friendly community?

• markjoshua

April 3, 2023 at 4:26 pm

Maybe, my response is late, but I’d like to share my ideas. While I don’t personally live in a dementia-friendly or Parkinson’s-friendly community, I think creating inclusive environments where everyone can feel supported and included is critical.

• markjoshua

April 5, 2023 at 8:24 am

In addition, it’s crucial to have institutions that offer personalized treatment options for all mental health needs. This can help people with mental disorders feel comfortable and supported as they integrate into society. It’s essential to recognize that mental health needs vary greatly from person to person, and tailored treatment plans can make a huge difference in helping individuals live their best lives.

• sherman-paskett

April 4, 2023 at 3:25 pm

Perhaps I am a bit dense, but what defines a “dementia friendly/PD friendly” community?

I am also wondering why we are lumping dementia and PD in the same category. People with dementia should probably not be allowed out in the greater community unaccompanied; people with PD, well, it depends on many factors.

• lori-deporter

May 22, 2023 at 8:46 am

Dementia friends is an organization that educates about dementia…You can find out more about it at…https://dementiafriendsusa.org/

“As the disease progresses, people living with PD can develop more significant or severe memory and thinking problems, sometimes called dementia. The term dementia means that a person has permanent cognitive changes that are significant enough to impact daily living.”

https://www.parkinson.org/understanding-parkinsons/non-movement-symptoms/dementia

• kenneth

August 29, 2023 at 3:49 pm

Yeah I do

• ally

September 19, 2023 at 4:35 pm

Hi Kenneth, how did you find out about the community you live in? What was the process like for moving in? What does the community do to support people living with Parkinson’s vs. dementia?

• donald-lawie

September 23, 2023 at 7:16 am

I live in a rural community strung along a road betwwen a river and a 600 metre mountain , have been here near 40 year brought up 4 kids, wife of 56 years, me diagnosed PD about 10 y ago. All resients know each other and ready to help any in need such as floods or cyclones . At age 84 we are recipients of much goodwil and ther usual reponse to my declaration of PD is to cite a distant relative with it and to say, meaningfully, any help you need just ask. Yes it is a PD friendly community

• lori-deporter

October 18, 2023 at 3:10 pm

This is what I mean by dementia friendly. I was not referring to “private” communities. Instead, we all need to do our part to make every community welcoming to everyone.