Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Treatment Diet and Exercise Do you have a morning stretching routine?

• Do you have a morning stretching routine?

Posted by mary-beth-skylis on February 17, 2021 at 9:31 am

One of the first things my Dad does when he gets up is stretches. Since stiffness is often a tough symptom to mitigate while you’re battling Parkinson’s disease, he finds that the routine helps to lubricate his muscles for the day. Do you have a morning stretching routine? If so, which stretches are your favorite ones? If not, why not?

charles-schiller replied 2 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • rich

February 18, 2021 at 2:09 pm

Good for him! My right hand is my stiff one, and the exercise I like is putting my hands up at head level with my fingers extended (like a “freeze” pose), making tight fists, and then throwing them open at my sides with force.

I also stretch and touch the ceiling 10 times and then hold it for 10 seconds.

Does the stiffness go away? Naw. But it least gets me going enough to take on the day and get to work!

• jo-s

February 18, 2021 at 2:11 pm

I do my yoga routine first thing in the morning — mainly because if I don’t do it then, I won’t do it later in the day. 🙂 In addition to getting everything loosened up, it also helps set a positive tone for the rest of my day.

• charles-schiller

May 27, 2021 at 4:56 pm

So I too do morning exercise. I start with pelvic tilt, two sets of 15. Then I pull my bent legs to my chest, three sets of ten. Also, on my back, arms extended to the side, I twist my hips, on side than the other. I also go to PT, one hour, twice a week, have a private trainer, twice a week, half an hour each. Both PT and trainer work me with weights and balance exercises.