• Posted by ally on May 20, 2019 at 4:31 pm

Parkinson’s disease affects 1 in every 500 people in Canada. Over 100,000 Canadians are living with Parkinson’s today and approximately 6,600 new cases of PD are diagnosed each year. In a larger country like the United States, those numbers are higher, with roughly 60,000 new diagnoses per year. Worldwide, it’s estimated that between 7 million and 10 million people live with the disease. Parkinson’s disease, therefore, could still be classified as a rare disease (although that seems to be changing) — but how do you feel?

Do you feel like you’re that “rare” category? Do you think defining PD as “rare” is detrimental to people being aware of and understanding its prevalence?

ally replied 4 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    May 21, 2019 at 4:31 pm

I think people are definitely more aware of PD I thought it was very rare when I was first diagnosed but since then I’ve discovered that there’s a person at church with PD and one of my friends sister has it too. Our ex-mayor who was recently diagnosed we’ve been talking with him  about starting a rock steady class here on our city square. Most people I talk with have a family member with PD or know someone. It definitely helps me feel not so rare.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      May 21, 2019 at 6:36 pm

I took dance classes with 2 friends for many years.  Two of us have PD, I also have another friend that has PD.  I dont think it is that rare.

• ally

May 22, 2019 at 5:04 pm

That’s really interesting, Jean… Do you think you were all predisposed to PD for the same reason? Has your disease progression been similar or different? Do you think sharing this experience has brought you closer together?

• Deleted User

Deleted User
        May 22, 2019 at 6:44 pm

sad to say, i dont really speak with either of them anymore since I moved out to the sticks.    we all had some kind of trauma. one had early onset PD (she was in 30’s) and had a difficult child birth prior to her diagnosis.  The other was physically beaten around the head years before she was diagnosed.  I attribute my PD to suicide of my soulmate 6 months after he passed.   Cant speak to their progression vs. mine since I havent seen or spoken to either one for a while.

• ally

May 23, 2019 at 9:10 am

Wow, what you’ve said about trauma (both physical and psychological) is a reminder to me that our mental/emotional well-being should be taken care of just as well diligently as our physical health because ultimately they are intrinsically related.

• ally

May 22, 2019 at 5:02 pm

That’s a lot of connections to PD, Marcus. I think that offering Rock Steady classes in the city square will really help raise awareness for PD even more in your community.