Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Treatment Diet and Exercise Do you ever feel overwhelmed by all the exercises you must do to alleviate your symptoms? 

• Do you ever feel overwhelmed by all the exercises you must do to alleviate your symptoms? 

Posted by Deleted User on June 22, 2018 at 9:00 am

Sometimes I get so overwhelmed by the amount of daily exercise obligations I must do to combat Parkinson’s Disease; yoga for flexibility 2x week, boxing for strength, speed, stamina 2x week, balance exercises daily, weight workouts 3x/week for strength, walking and/or cycling for cardio 2-3x per week, speed bag daily for speed, stamina and strength.  I should also be doing hand exercises (using putty and picking marbles out of rice) several times a week for my fine motor skills, but I have been remiss.

What exercises do you do and do you feel the need to ‘cheat’ and give yourself a break sometimes?

Deleted User replied 5 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Paul D Lefebvre

July 6, 2018 at 11:07 am

Jean, you seem to have a regimen that I would find impossible. I say, ‘more power to you’ for that effort. Do you find relief, reward, after you’ve finished?

I feel overwhelmed by the remaining obligations and expectations of my pre-diagnosis life. Thinking about those obligations and expectations (especially in bed at night) brings on much anxiety. As for thoughts on exercise, my greatest difficulty is apathy. Apathy applies to those daily obligations and expectations as well. But, specifically with regard to exercise, I find myself mired in care-less feeling. It is extremely hard to get myself up and out of the house to go to the gym. Once I am there, changed into my shorts, shirt and shoes, and actually on the equipment, I go through the exercises well enough. It’s getting ready and getting there that is problematic.

To the extent that I can overcome the apathy (I try to keep a schedule of 3x/week, M-W-F), I do that by self-talk well ahead of time, telling myself how good it is for me, and where would I be if I weren’t working out. (My wife is another motivator; she goes to the gym faithfully 3x/week.) I use the same technique (self-talk) in preparatiations for other obligations and expectations.

My routine is to use the stationary recumbent bike for 20 minutes, followed by a series of resistance machines, and then a stop in the steam room. I’m usually totally exhausted by the time I get home, and often fall asleep for 10-20 minutes in a chair. I’m no good for chores until the next day. But I do feel better ( I tell myself). It’s been suggested that I would benefit from a less rigorous workout, but I have a hard time bringing myself to that. I believe that the value of the exercise regimen is that it pumps blood and fresh oxygen through the body, the brain in particular, and that that is what is revitalizing. I also believe that pumping the blood through my body helps relieve arthritis pain. So does Tylenol.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      July 6, 2018 at 11:40 am

Hi Paul, to answer your question, I do not find relief or reward after exercising.  I was an athlete for most of my adult life (dancing and cycling mainly) and I believe that has been a blessing since I am disciplined and have always pushed myself.  This comes in handy overcoming the apathy.   However, pushing myself does not always serve me well since I am wasted by noon most days.

Sometimes I too get overwhelmed with daily life obligations, so I dont try to schedule too many chores for my day.  Exercise is always top priority; cleaning, going shopping, laundry, etc. they no longer hold the priority that they used to do for  me.  There was a time I would freak out if there was too much dust on the furniture.  I have learned to let that go.

That is great that your wife is a good motivator for you.  It sounds like you have a great exercise plan!  I wish you continued success in battling PD through exercise.

• Paul D Lefebvre

July 6, 2018 at 12:17 pm

This may be a time in my life when better discipline would serve me well; help me to let certain routines go. But I also know that I am an entrenched INTP personality (in the Myers-Briggs system), and that my routines serve to support my openness to options (some say, procrastination) which, in turn,  seems to preclude discipline of the sort that would get me going. But I do have a strong desire to overcome the apathy.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    July 6, 2018 at 12:44 pm

Paul, I find letting go of routine extremely difficult, but letting go of certain things has really helped reduce my stress and frustration levels.  I believe stress really exacerbates PD symptoms

• Crystal Belle

August 18, 2018 at 8:02 pm

I applaud you both as a noob still in survival mode at this time. My PT is coming by twice weekly, getting little from me at this time despite my strongest efforts. I’ve had osteoarthritis and disc degeneration that took me out of work in 2004, then Subclavian Steal Syndrome since 2012 so the PD has been late diagnosed after slow movements became stopped. Vascular surgery didn’t return my eye blinks either, but did return use of my left arm along with pulse and BP. Very successful at saving my life. Once this PD is mastered, I will be able to exercise I suspect. For now, we are getting my legs in motion for more than 7 steps without going stiff and numb. Is this common at the onset of PD before medications? I have to remind myself to blink and use eye drops for moisture, as I have for a few years. But the PD was just diagnosed.

Looking forward to getting back on an exercise program as I’m a small woman who has always been active and DID keep my house in order. Now? Haha

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    August 19, 2018 at 10:11 am

Crystal,everyone experiences PD differently.  I have not experienced stiffness and numbness like you describe.  My main symptoms are poor fine motor skills, slowness of movement and extreme fatigue.  Medication helps some more than others.  If you are so inclined, take a look at my monthly column where I describe my PD journey thus far:  https://parkinsonsnewstoday.com/category/slow-is-the-new-fast-a-column-by-jean-mellano/

You seem to have a fire in you not to let this PD get you down and still have a good sense of humor..  That is half the battle.  Stay strong Crystal.

• Crystal Belle

August 19, 2018 at 6:22 pm

Thank you Jean. I enjoyed reading your column. I’m not the only one with that defiant fire. I may have PD but it will not have me. This is going to stay my mindset throughout this journey just as when I had cancer in 1997. Yet I can never agree with whoever said what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger lol. Must have been referring to heart sleeve stuff I suppose. 😉
    Have a great week ahead.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    August 20, 2018 at 8:44 am

Keep that mindset Crystal, I am doing my best to keep mine, as I think it is our biggest hope in battling this disease.   I too am a cancer survivor.  I had tonsil cancer in 2007.  However, I must admit, that journey was a piece of cake compared to what I am dealing with now; perhaps that is because back then, my soulmate was at my side every day helping me to go on…

• Crystal Belle

August 20, 2018 at 4:11 pm

Probably. But you are the same strong independent woman that walked through that fire and came out on the other side. I admit I didn’t walk through that alone either. We’ve got this,it doesn’t have us.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    August 20, 2018 at 6:28 pm

I am sure it was no piece of cake for you even if you had someone by your side…Our strength must come from within .    “We’ve got this,it doesn’t have us.”… wise words Crystal..

• Crystal Belle

August 20, 2018 at 11:17 pm

Even so, I want to Thank You Jean, for being here for me while I’ve been going through my acceptance stage, or panic if you will, LoL. You are a Godsend my friend.

My panic is over and acceptance has set in. Time to grab this bull by the horns and say; Let’s dance. Every time I stumble, that is the first step of a new dance now. That’s the first new rule. Plot twist lol. Have a blessed Tuesday.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    August 21, 2018 at 7:03 am

Thank YOU Crystal,  your strength inspires me!  I have learned with this disease that I will stumble often, and I may lose a battle, but I am learning to get back up again and fight another day.   Peace to you Crystal.