Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Do you wear adaptive clothing? Why or why not?

• Do you wear adaptive clothing? Why or why not?

Posted by Mary Beth Skylis on January 29, 2024 at 3:37 pm

I’ve seen several different brands that offer adaptive clothing (ie they might use velcro or magnets instead of buttons, or they may offer laceless shoes that still look like they have laces). And I’ve wondered if it makes a difference for many people with Parkinson’s. 

Do you wear adaptive clothing? Why or why not?

JackieHC replied 2 weeks, 4 days ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • guadalupe

April 29, 2024 at 2:43 am

Thanks for bringing this up!

• Alan M

April 30, 2024 at 11:57 pm

My attempts at “adaptive clothing” has been thus far:

Slip on loafers (no laces)

“live in” house coats (Kiwis call them dressing gowns) — don’t leave the house that much

hoodies in winter and oversized T-shirts in the summer

snaps on my men’s shirts (no buttons) — this is a pain if they sew buttons on the cuffs

Velcro vests

Zipper jackets (but must have extra large “Zip” part)

• JackieHC

May 2, 2024 at 4:15 pm

I just want to mention that folks who have had deep brain stimulation (DBS) neurostimulators implanted should generally not wear clothing with magnets because the magnets can interfere with the wires, or at least that’s what my programmer told me when I had my bilateral DBS put into my subthalamic nuclei (STN) back in 2006. New DBS technologies have come online since then, but there are also a lot of new wireless gadgets — including mobile phones — that can interfere with DBS. For example, men who used to put their phones in their shirt or jacket breast pocket should probably doing stop that after having DBS.

Mary-Beth, I’d love to see a new forum topic on DBS Do’s and Don’ts for non-medical advice only, of course. Just relating personal experiences. Would you please start one?

My main experience with adaptive-type clothing has been with bras. I have trouble with the closures, front or back.There are a couple of companies that make stretchy bras that provide support but that are not as tight and hard to get on as sports bras. Honeylove.com is the only name I can remember right now.