• Yoga for Parkinson's

Posted by Ally on January 14, 2019 at 1:27 pm

Yoga is one of the most beneficial complementary therapies for Parkinson’s disease, as it can help increase flexibility; improve posture; loosen tight, painful muscles; build (or rebuild) confidence; and, through these benefits, enhance a person’s quality of life. It can also be a form of moving meditation and help you manage anxious thoughts.

I’m not very good about practicing yoga regularly, but I always feel better when I do. It feels good to stretch my muscles and clear my mind by focusing on my breath instead of all the thoughts running through my brain.

Have you tried or do you practice yoga?

Ally replied 5 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    January 14, 2019 at 5:37 pm

I love my yoga classes.  I go 2x/week.  One class is restorative and meditative.  It gets me out of bed Sunday mornings.

• Bob Sahm

February 15, 2019 at 5:29 am

Yoga has been added to my boxing class.  I look forward to it,  much less expensive then massage therapy.   I tend to get stiff in my shoulder and have less range of movement until I return to the yoga class.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      February 15, 2019 at 5:56 am

yoga is amazing, once you can find an instructor you can connect with, it   can do amazing things for your body.

dont give up if after your first class you dont like it, try different studios and/or instructors.

• Ally

February 19, 2019 at 12:56 pm

I agree, yoga is wonderful for opening up and stretching your body and it is much more affordable than massage therapy. What are some of your favourite poses?

• Lou Hevly

February 19, 2019 at 2:29 am

Yoga is wonderful. I’ve had PD for 6-7 years and my balance is better now than it has ever been (I can hold the tree position for a full minute… sometimes). I try to do yoga every day for 30 min., but probably average 2-4 times a week.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      February 19, 2019 at 6:13 am

Excellent discipline Lou,, keep it up, I believe all that yoga has to offer is so beneficial to those of us with PD

• Ally

February 19, 2019 at 12:55 pm

That’s awesome, thanks for sharing, Lou! Do you also find doing yoga helps with your stress/mental health? Do you practice yoga in a studio or at home?

• Lou Hevly

March 4, 2019 at 2:43 pm

@Ally: I may be kidding myself, but I don’t have any stress. I do feel that yoga has helped my general physical condition. Also I feel good about overcoming my laziness and making the effort to do it. I practice at home, doing a half-hour program that I was taught, emphasizing the physical aspect.

I’ve thought about making a video of a non-yogi person (me) going through the half-hour routine. I’ll let you know if it happens.

• Ally

March 4, 2019 at 2:53 pm

Oh Lou, I wish I could say I wasn’t stressed too! That being said, yoga is a great stress reliever for me and I often fall fast asleep at the end of my practice (a bit awkward in a public setting but I think it happens to a lot of people!). If you do upload a video I’m sure a lot of folks on this forum would find it helpful, so please do keep us posted. 🙂