Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Born in June 1939, I was diagnosed with tremor dominant Parkinson’s in November 2015. The tremors are quite severe. I have been taking Co-Careldopa 12.5mg/50mg 6 tablets daily, but I notice no relief of tremor on taking the medicatiion, nor can I detect any “On” and “0ff” periods. The medication seems to have no effect at all, at least on the tremor. Any comments and suggestions would be welcome!

Jean Mellano
      Participant

hi john, i have the same issue, I am taking C/L and use neupro patch, yet, i wonder, is it doing any good….  it has been almost two years and i am still trying to find the right ‘cocktail ‘ of drugs to banish my symptoms (extreme fatigue, bradykinesia, poor fine motor skills and sometimes dyskinesia)

Roseanne
      Participant

I was diagnosed in April 2017. I was very reluctant to taking any medications after reading all the side effects😳.  After about 6 months I started with Azilect 1mg daily because my doctor says that it might slow down the progression of parkinson’s. My doctor then convinced me to start Amantadine 100mg twice a day. It seemed like every visit she was suggesting another drug to take. And even when she gave me the prescription it would take me a month or so to actually start the medication. (I’m a problem patient🙁) I was afraid to start carbidopa/levadopa because of the fear of dyskinesia. But my tremors were getting so bad I agreed to start pramipexole ER 0.375mg 3 times a day. I have been on that now about 1 year. I have been having a big problem with fatigue. Yesterday I started Rytary 23.75/95mg 3 times a day while tapering off the pramipexole. Yesterday was a great day. I felt great, no fatigue, tremors felt better. So far today no fatigue, but not doing so well with the tremors. But it is also thanksgiving and I am having all 4 of my kids and their families over for dinner. I tend to get very anxious on the holidays and when I’m anxious nothing will control my tremors. So I will have to give it another couple of days to see how it works. Hopefully it will help. Sorry for such a long post. It feels good to be able to talk to someone about this.

Jean Mellano
      Participant

Roseanne,  thanks for sharing.  I too am frustrated with the PD meds, try something for a couple of weeks, if that doesnt work, add this or increase dose or start over with something new. I am also a problem patient.  I do not have tremors, but my bradykinesia and fatigue are crushing. anxiety (something i never had before PD) and stress really exacerbate my symptoms.   I am on 1 tab 25/100 C/L 3x per day and periodically experience dyskinesia.  I plan to talk to my neuro about rytary.

An article in Parkinson’s News Today on Sept 17th reports research which finds that while “levodopa, a dopamine replacement therapy…..effectively treats bradykinesia [slowness of movement] and rigidity, the effect on resting tremor is unpredictable and varies greatly between patients.” So we have to keep our eyes and ears glued for alternative treatments that <u>do</u> help the tremor. Meanwhile,  with the help of our families we must  keep as calm / agitation-free as possible [I find that deep relaxation / yoga techniques can calm my tremor] and take plenty of shut-eye rest, especially when there is   loads od washing-up to do and other hands to do it.

Jean Mellano
      Participant

hi John, I think I found the link for the article you mentioned: https://parkinsonsnewstoday.com/2019/09/17/resistant-tremors-arise-outside-brains-dopaminergic-system/

Interesting… bottom line, I dont think science and the medical commmunity know what to do for us folks with PD

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2020 All rights reserved.

©2020 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account