Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Talking about sex with your doctor

• Talking about sex with your doctor

Posted by Ally on February 11, 2021 at 7:04 pm

Parkinson’s disease and other illnesses can certainly have an impact on one’s sex life. If this is true for you, how comfortable do you feel talking about it with your doctor? Does your doctor ask questions or do you feel like you have to bring things up yourself? Do you have any advice for broaching this conversation – even if it feels a little awkward at first? Do you have advice for physicians to help them foster a more comfortable environment for talking about sexual health and intimacy?

Hunter replied 3 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Hunter

March 10, 2021 at 5:39 pm

I wish doctors would initiate this topic with their patients.  I really like and trust my doctor but she never brings it up.  At my age I’m reluctant to bring it up but would definitely talk about it with her.  I still want to enjoy that part of my life even though my wife is no longer interested.  My tremors make trying to satisfy my own needs very difficult.

• Hunter

March 10, 2021 at 7:50 pm

Maybe doctors could include some sexual performance questions on the paperwork patients get before every appointment to complete in order to update our medical records?   The doctor could use our responses as a springboard for discussion of sexual issues.  Just a thought.

• Ally

March 11, 2021 at 7:02 pm

Hi Hunter, thanks for sharing. I agree, I think physicians should talk to ALL patients about their sexual health more regularly and not automatically discount the conversation because of age or diagnosis factors. Would you feel more comfortable talking to a male doctor or perhaps consulting a sex therapist? Perhaps they could help you find another physician to talk to about your concerns, or resources to support you having the conversation with your primary doctor.

• Hunter

March 11, 2021 at 7:55 pm

Hi Ally,

I was pleasantly surprised to see you took time to respond and want to thank you for being so kind.  I have personal reasons I would rather not discuss in this forum that explain my hesitation for seeing a make physician.  I actually have a very good relationship with my current doctor and have been thinking of ways I could approach my situation without offending her in any way.  It’s possible I’m just overthinking this since it’s not that I mind discussing the problem with a doctor… I just don’t know how to initiate the conversation.  Crazy, I know.
    Im always open to suggestions if you or others have thoughts about it.

Thank you again for reaching out.