Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Treatment Therapies and Medications Seeking input from the 30% of PD patients experiencing orthostatic hypotension.

• Seeking input from the 30% of PD patients experiencing orthostatic hypotension.

Posted by Jean Stewart on October 20, 2023 at 1:08 am

My husband is recently diagnosed with PD. His most significant symptom is neurogenic orthostatic hypotension. His BP plummets when he stands up resulting in dizzyness, passing out etc. Has anyone had any success in treating this? We still haven’t gotten the medication regime working effectively to allow him to function reasonably well.

Elaine Droz replied 6 months, 1 week ago 7 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • ggg

October 24, 2023 at 5:23 pm

There is an MD at stanford.

Let me know if you want a link.

• Jean Stewart

October 31, 2023 at 1:28 am

Thanks. I’ll reach out for contact if we exhaust local resources.

• Bob

October 24, 2023 at 5:29 pm

Hi Jean,

Measure blood pressure first thing in the morning. If low give him 1/4 to 1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt or Himalayan salt, each has 80+ minerals unlike table salt which has two, Na and Cl. If low anytime during the day, repeat.

• Jean Stewart

October 31, 2023 at 1:31 am

We haven’t tried salt yet. Midodrine & Fludrocortisone helps but half-life is short and it doesn’t always get us the result we’re seeking. Thanks for the suggestion – from what I’m reading, it seems that a combination of things provides the best outcome. Thanks.

• K Ride

October 24, 2023 at 10:27 pm

My HwP has extreme BP variances; he can change 100 points systolic in 90 minutes. I told our cardiologist that when husbands BP drops to where he loses some mentation, I wait til it passes (less than 10 minutes) and have him drink an electrolyte solution. The doc agreed. I usually add more salt to it as well. Good luck, it’s scary and hard to manage. Keeping well hydrated is also important. Please note that I would NOT give an electrolyte solution every day – our doc knows that I only do this once or twice a week. Please ask your own doc for some guidance on this – too many electrolytes would not be good for the heart is what I have read.

• Jean Stewart

October 31, 2023 at 1:33 am

It is scary! Thanks for the suggestion. Willing to try a variety of modalities to help.

• Joyce

October 26, 2023 at 7:11 pm

Midodrine is a prescription medication which the doctor can prescribe to tighten blood vessels but the person cannot lay in bed all day as it will cause high blood pressure,.Thermotabs is a buffered salt supplement I get from Amazon which will not irritate the stomach, 5-10 times a day. A wrist blood pressure unit does not function properly when taking bp of a PD person. Compression socks are a must! Again-Amazon. I did not tell the doctor but I cut the feet off in the summer because sometimes I like to wear them all night in the event I have to go to the bathroom and they make my feet to warm. A waist compression band is also a must-Tommie Copper is excellent. I purchase -Amazon- powdered Gatorade, mix it, and drink it all day. I first had this happen when I started oh PD medication.Found out what it was, treated it as described and it went away. In July I could not get out of bed and was rushed to my neurologist – it was back again after 3.5 years but with out the dizziness so I did not know what was happening.Saw him this week and he said I did very well only dropped 4 pt! My problem now is I have absolutely no stamina and do not leave the bedroom. He said it is not PD but the fact that I have isolated myself. I was also having trouble with extreme fatigue and had a sleep study done which took six months as a result of COVID backlog=38% sleep efficiency, now have CPAP machine. Still no stamina! Hope some thing here helps.

• Jean Stewart

October 31, 2023 at 1:35 am

Yes, he’s on Midodrine at the max dose. Compression stockings and monitoring/pushing his fluids daily are already employed. I’ll be ordering the Thermotabs. Thanks for the suggestion. I hope you find some answers to your reduced stamina.

• Gerald McCarty

October 31, 2023 at 2:17 pm

I was put on Encatapone a while back when my time between C/L doses was down to 4 hours, around the clock. After 2 weeks on the newly added medication, I was having severe orthostatic hypotension. After trying to contact my neurologist and getting no response, I switched to a new neurologist and was quickly switched to Rytary, which my old neurologist rejected as an option. My orthostatic hypotension went away and I am doing better than I had been for the previous 6 months. I take Rytary every 5 hours except at night when I take 2 C/L ER tablets that get me through until my 5am morning Rytary dose.

• Elaine Droz

October 31, 2023 at 4:04 pm

I have PD and was diagnosed with OH several months ago. I was prescribed .1 mg of Fludrocortisone a day, and it has worked well. I’m not aware of any adverse side-effects.