• Kim

June 24, 2023 at 8:08 pm

No this is one symptom that has not been helped by meds.(Rytary). It’s quite depressing so I try not to think about it. I’ve lost my sense of taste as well. Like you and others loss of smell was one of my first symptoms and I noticed it years ago. I am replying because you didn’t say if you can attribute your recovery of the ability to smell to something in particular. What is your treatment plan if you don’t mind sharing?

• Marcus Sutherland

July 3, 2023 at 1:57 pm

My only medication is Rytary. I can’t attribute being able to smell again to anything I did differently. I’m viewing it as God’s blessing.

• Marcus Sutherland

July 3, 2023 at 1:55 pm

My only medication is Rytary.  I can’t attribute being able to smell again to anything I did differently.   I’m viewing it as God’s blessing.

• Jeffery Hill

July 5, 2023 at 10:11 am

Timely post!  My sense of smell declined dramatically years before I noticed my second symptom (tremor).   One of the first “categories” of smells that I lost was the scent of flowers.  Every spring I test it with the newly bloomed lilacs found throughout my Toronto neighbourhood.  This year, to my astonishment, I was able to smell the most fragrant varieties for the first time in years! I have no idea why it returned.

• Rob Johnston

July 6, 2023 at 2:44 pm

Jeffrey, I do the same smell test with lilacs and fragrant roses.  I can smell them only faintly.

• Susan

July 7, 2023 at 11:46 am

I do the same smell test, especially in the spring. No significant change. I thought the DBS would have given me something back. Not yet anyway.