Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Symptoms and Progression REM Sleep Behavior Disorder could predict risk of Parkinson's

• REM Sleep Behavior Disorder could predict risk of Parkinson's

Posted by Ally on March 6, 2019 at 9:29 am

Recently a team of researchers from McGill University in Montreal, Canada decided to see if a sleep disorder called REM sleep behavior disorder (RBD) could be a good predictor of risk of developing Parkinson’s disease.

This sleep problem is called RBD because it occurs during the REM phase of sleep, in which a person’s body is unable to move, preventing the person from physically acting out their dreams and preventing them from potentially harming themselves or others.

People with RBD do not have this paralysis, which means that they end up acting out their dreams without any notion that they are doing so.

You can read more about the study, which found that RBD is a good predictor of PD, here: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324630.php

The team is planning to expand their research to look at diverse populations around the world, because testing for RBD could be a more accessible and inexpensive way of screening for PD.

What do you think of this news?

Deleted User replied 5 years ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    March 31, 2019 at 2:05 pm

About ten years before I was diagnosed with PD I developed RBD I didn’t know at the time they were related.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      March 31, 2019 at 3:39 pm

Luckily I have not experienced that symptom.  It sounds scary…

Has the melatonin and  L-Theanine  you mentioned in another post been helpful for your RBD?

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    March 31, 2019 at 4:19 pm

L-Theanine has helped to calm me down so I can fall asleep and the melatonin helps with the vivid dreams most of the time.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    March 31, 2019 at 4:33 pm

thank you Marcus, that is good to know.