Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Relating to folks with other challenges

• Relating to folks with other challenges

Posted by Ally on October 6, 2023 at 8:54 am

Recently, Mary Beth Skylis wrote for Parkinson’s News Today about how living with an autoimmune disease has helped her understand and relate to her dad’s experience with Parkinson’s.

Is there anyone in your life who has a similar but different health challenge that creates opportunities for you to understand and relate to each other better?

Ally replied 7 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Kathleen Ernst

October 10, 2023 at 3:02 pm

Yes, a friend of mine has several autoimmune issues dealing with pain and fatigue. We overlap in some symptoms and we both have tried to understand the Whys and to make sense of things. I have learned to more accept each day as it comes and to learn to adjust to make the best of each day and to accept that some days are just not good days. It’s also allowed me to be more accepting of myself and others as we are all dealing with something whether it’s physical, mental or emotional. Giving ourselves and others grace is so freeing and healing❤️.

• Ally

October 10, 2023 at 4:46 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience, Kathleen. While I’m sorry that you and your friend are sharing challenges, I am glad that you have each other to lean on and talk to. Any kind of chronic or progressive illness can feel very lonely and isolating, and having a friend who can relate is a gift amidst suffering.