• Preparing for colder weather

Posted by Ally on September 5, 2023 at 4:09 pm

Labo(u)r Day marks the unofficial end of summer in Canada and the US. Where I live, the temperature is still pretty high – in fact, we’ll be experiencing a heat wave until mid-week this week. That said, I know cooler weather is just around the corner.

How do cooler temperatures affect your Parkinson’s? Are you doing anything to prepare for the seasonal change? Do you prefer hot or cool weather, and do you ever travel elsewhere (like a snowbird) to escape winter?

Sussan Thomas replied 5 months, 3 weeks ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Gerald McCarty

September 7, 2023 at 2:12 pm

I’m in south Texas and the heat has really messed with me this summer. I don’t remember having issues with the cooler weather the past winter. I plan to go north next summer just to survive.

• Ally

September 7, 2023 at 5:45 pm

Hi Gerald, I have a some friends in Texas and I could see them complaining about the heat all summer long on social media! Because Americans use Fahrenheit, the temperatures always seemed especially frightening to me. 27-30 degrees doesn’t sound as bad as 90+. Where do you plan to go next summer?

• Lucinda

September 7, 2023 at 2:57 pm

I’m beginning to get a little concerned. A couple of weeks ago, when most of the United States was experiencing a heat wave, including my area, my body temperature dropped to 95 degrees. Our air conditioner was on as the outside temperature didn’t get below 85, but the temperature inside our house was 72, if I recall correctly. I know that it was not below 71. After rearranging my blankets, I started warming up and it hasn’t dropped like that since, but it was certainly something that caused me to take note.

• Ally

September 7, 2023 at 5:47 pm

Hi Lucinda, are these low temperatures unusual where you live? I don’t expect things to truly cool off where I live in Ontario until late October/early November – but if it were to happen earlier, that would worry me too.

• Lucinda

September 21, 2023 at 2:49 pm

Hello Ally;

I state every year that September starts out sizzling and ends with a burr, referring both to the temperature and also emphasizing the alliteration of the word. This year doesn’t seem to be any different. My concern is the difference in my system to adjust appropriately to the changing weather. I don’t seem to be able to keep an appropriate body temperature in our climate-controlled home. I went to bed shivering as I snuggled into my covers only to awake a few hours later, soaked in sweat. The thermostat had not changed.

• Nonnie

September 22, 2023 at 9:03 am

I live in Ohio, any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• Sussan Thomas

November 16, 2023 at 10:03 am

I prefer cool weather. Those hot summer days really get on my nerves.