Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Plant based diet, have you tried it?

• Plant based diet, have you tried it?

Posted by Deleted User on November 14, 2019 at 8:30 am

Plant based diets (also known as vegan or dairy and meat free) are sometimes recommended to ease symptoms and/or slow progression.  Have you tried this kind of diet?  If so, so you think it has helped you?

jo-s replied 4 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • jo-s

November 14, 2019 at 9:46 am

I’ve been plant-based (vegan) for almost four decades. Yes, I do believe it has helped me. I have had symptoms for a very long time, and I think I would have been a lot worse off by the time I was diagnosed if I hadn’t been vegan. That said, I don’t believe being vegan will cure (or even prevent) PD (I’m a prime example of that), but I do think it can help to slow progression as long as the diet is centered around whole plant-based foods and not processed junk.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      November 14, 2019 at 3:21 pm

plant based diets cant hurt us, are good for animal welfare and good for the planet.  have you seen The Game Changers on Netflix? https://gamechangersmovie.com/  i highly recommend it.

• jo-s

November 14, 2019 at 3:39 pm

Hi, Jean. I haven’t seen The Game Changers yet (although I’ve heard it’s very good). I’ve been vegan for so long (truly at the beginning of the wave in the US — back in the ’80s!) and written many books on the topic over the decades and seen so many films over the years, that I generally don’t want or need to view any additional ones. For my husband and me, it’s sort of a been-there-done-that feeling when it comes to films about veganism and animal rights.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      November 15, 2019 at 6:33 am

jo, that is impressive that you have been vegan for so long. i too have seen many of the ‘vegan promoting’ movies; cowspiracy, forks over knives, etc. But I believe this one is different because of the producer star power and i think it will get  the message through to non vegans.  I have scheduled a screening of it at my retirement community.   Here is a review that I  felt was spot on…

https://www.nomeatathlete.com/game-changers/

• jo-s

November 15, 2019 at 7:54 am

That’s terrific that you scheduled a screening at your retirement community, Jean! I’ve been around so long that I personally know many of the doctors and other people featured in these films. 😀 (Some days I feel like a dinosaur!)

• Deleted User

Deleted User
        November 15, 2019 at 9:18 am

Hi. I am a dinosaur too.  Rip Esselstyn is a good friend of mine.  Do u know rip?  My late husband and I went to his wedding at dr. Esselstyn’s farm in upstate ny years ago

• jo-s

November 15, 2019 at 9:32 am

I don’t know Rip, but I know his mother and father casually. How cool that you and your late husband went to Rip’s wedding!

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    November 15, 2019 at 9:38 am

Jo. It was the best wedding I have ever gone too. All delicious plant based food and yoga sessions. We all went to the top of a hill where they said their vows and after that. Rip and Jill ran down the hill and frolicked in the field.  I have a funny story about what Steve and I did after we left the Esselstyn farm  on one of our visits there. I can pvt msg it to u

• jo-s

November 15, 2019 at 9:43 am

That sounds wonderful, Jean — memorable and a lot of fun. Can you PM in this forum? If so, you’ll have to tell me how (and how to retrieve messages). I’d love to hear the story of what you and Steve did after you left the wedding.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    November 15, 2019 at 1:48 pm

hi jo, just sent it to you.  to send a pvt msg to a user, go to: https://parkinsonsnewstoday.com/forums/members/

then you will see the users and an option to send private message under the username.

Members

• jo-s

November 15, 2019 at 1:58 pm

Excellent! Thanks, Jean!