Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Research Parkinsons and toluene.

• Parkinsons and toluene.

Posted by Grey_Area on October 16, 2023 at 8:12 pm

Is solvent or chemical exposure a possible cause for your Parkinsons, and do adjuvant therapies offer any benefits for you compared to CD/LD alone?<div>

I know it’s hard to find a causal link to Parkinsons. Hard enough in fact to prove a link exists, let alone to say “That’s why I have Parkinson’s!” with any degree of confidence…

<div>

…but…

. .. and yes I know what Ned Stark said about “everything before the but”…

I was exposed to Toluene in my early career (and how – I worked in a low celinged laboratory with no air circulation or extraction and 600ml beakers of toluene simmering away on a water bath for ~8hrs a day). It also seems to be the case for me that whilst carbidopa/levodopa has worked well for me for the last eight years, the adjuvant therapies (Ropinirole, Opicapone, etc) have never done anything, or possibly even aggravated symptoms such as dyskinesia.

I realise a question on a Web forum is never going to make it as peer reviewed research…but hey, it’s 0211 am, and the damn dyskinesia, which I am blaming the Ongentys for, is driving me daft!

</div></div></div>

ssk777 replied 5 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • ssk777

November 18, 2023 at 1:03 am

Toluene is a solvent commonly used in various industrial processes, including paint thinners, adhesives, and certain types of glues. Exposure to toluene has been associated with potential health risks, and some studies have explored its effects on neurological health.

Parkinson’s disease is a neurodegenerative disorder that primarily affects movement. While the exact cause of Parkinson’s is not fully understood, it is generally believed to involve a combination of genetic and environmental factors. Some studies have investigated the potential link between exposure to certain chemicals, including toluene, and an increased risk of developing Parkinson’s disease.

Research on the relationship between toluene exposure and Parkinson’s disease is not conclusive, and findings have been mixed. Some studies suggest a possible association, while others do not find a significant link. The mechanisms by which toluene might influence neurological health, if at all, are still not fully understood.