Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Treatment Therapies and Medications Nuplazid; selling a drug by inducing fear?

• Nuplazid; selling a drug by inducing fear?

Posted by Deleted User on January 15, 2019 at 7:22 am

TV commercials for prescription drug Nuplazid claim  about 50 % of people with Parkinson’s may experience hallucinations or delusions over the course of their disease.  I feel this is trying to sell a drug by inducing fear into people diagnosed with PD (like we don’t have enough fear already to deal with),.

What are your thoughts on this type of advertising? Have you experienced hallucinations? Do you take Nuplazid?

Deleted User replied 4 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • victoria-tamorria

April 25, 2019 at 3:58 pm

The first time I saw this commercial—well at the very least, it freaked me out. I saw it within 2 weeks of being diagnosed. Now, I guess I’ve gotten used to it. Probably due to the fact that I’ve finally accepted my PD—that took a whole year. I had very good luck with the meds. Anyway, getting back to the commercial, I was upset that my friends, after viewing the ad, would think I was going to go nuts and start seeing and imagining all sorts of things.  That commercial would scare the pants off anyone. But, alas, I’ve gotten used to it. I told my husband—just maybe I’ll “see” one of our many dearly loved Cairn Terriers that have passed away. I guess we all need to keep a sense of humor with PD. Big pharma should be more careful but I don’t expect that to ever happen.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      April 25, 2019 at 4:02 pm

Victoria, it took me several years and umpteen ‘second opinions’ before I accepted my diagnosis and yes, this commercial freaks me out also.PD affects everyone so differently; I must make a constant effort to lived in the moment and not dwell on what might happen.

Big pharma has no conscience 🙁

I am sorry to hear you have lost your Cairn Terriers. I love that breed. When I was in high school I used to work in a kennel and I loved it when the Cairn puppies came in 🙂

• ally

April 25, 2019 at 7:06 pm

That’s a bit disturbing, Jean, even if the statistic is true. I wonder what the ethics of saying something like that are…

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      April 25, 2019 at 7:27 pm

Ally, I have come to the conclusion, Big pharma has no ethics…  its all about profit

• victoria-tamorria

April 25, 2019 at 7:22 pm

Jean

I wondered all those years before I was diagnosed why I had trouble doing simple things and always had lower energy than just about every one on the planet. I just blamed it on my hypothyroidism. Then my internist noticed a slight tremor in my hand and sent me to a neurologist. She had me do the basic hand test and had me walk a long hallway and asked me if I realized that I did not swing my arms when I walked. Also my right leg had a slight drag to it. So that started my.year long denial trip.

Eventually,  I accepted it because other symptoms started and I tearfully gave in and took the meds which helped a lot as I explained in my earlier post.

I’m thankful that I’ve found these forums and such helpful caring people like you.

I miss my little dog so much. We lost him in January.  Praise God, I have my new little grandson to dwell on.

Vic

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      April 25, 2019 at 7:26 pm

Victoria, losing as pet is like losing a family member.  I lost one of my pet bunnies last June.   Broke my heart….

I can relate to what you said about tearfully going on the meds… same for me… only thing is, I dont feel that much better.  If I dont take them, I feel worse… go figure..  Bottom line, I always feel like crap.  Just crappier when I dont take the meds.

May your grandson give you great happiness…

• victoria-tamorria

April 26, 2019 at 6:02 am

“Crappier” I think that should be our official PD descriptor verb!

I’m praying for you and your struggle with the meds. Thanks for your kind words.

Vic

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      April 26, 2019 at 6:02 am

agreed LOL