Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Research New Test Can Detect the Parkinson’s in Its Early Stages

• New Test Can Detect the Parkinson’s in Its Early Stages

Posted by Forum Moderator on December 13, 2018 at 8:32 am

Scientists at the National Institutes of Health have developed an accurate test for the early diagnosis of neurodegenerative diseases, including Parkinson’s. The new NIH test is a refinement of one that detects protein clumping involved in these disorders.

Click here to learn more.

What are your thoughts on this news?

Deleted User replied 5 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Russell Wilson

January 2, 2019 at 5:33 am

This is all very interesting BUT …

I’ve just had a quick look at the paper but it doesn’t seem clear what they mean by “early” — when neurologists think a patient has PD when …?  when they’re exhibiting motor abnormalities? Sorry, but I personally wouldn’t call this early — we  do know that in many cases patients can display non-motor symptoms up to a decade or more before they’re starting to be seen by a neurologist — shouldn’t this alternative time be called early instead?  By the time people start seeing neurologists a lot of damage has already occurred. Shouldn’t we be prioritising other indicators or risk factors — eye movement tremors, or diabetes — the first a direct sign, the latter a highly significant (Hazard Ratio about 9) risk factor — combine the latter with a questionnaire measure of non-motor symptoms and we’d be doing well.

I’m happy for neurologists finally having a chemical test to “confirm” diagnoses but …

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    January 2, 2019 at 7:15 am

PD diagnosis is so subjective, even diagnosing progression is subjective. We are left to our own devices… 🙁