Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Forum Moderator
      Keymaster

Scientists at the National Institutes of Health have developed an accurate test for the early diagnosis of neurodegenerative diseases, including Parkinson’s. The new NIH test is a refinement of one that detects protein clumping involved in these disorders.

Click here to learn more.

What are your thoughts on this news?

Russell Wilson
      Participant

This is all very interesting BUT …

I’ve just had a quick look at the paper but it doesn’t seem clear what they mean by “early” — when neurologists think a patient has PD when …?  when they’re exhibiting motor abnormalities? Sorry, but I personally wouldn’t call this early — we  do know that in many cases patients can display non-motor symptoms up to a decade or more before they’re starting to be seen by a neurologist — shouldn’t this alternative time be called early instead?  By the time people start seeing neurologists a lot of damage has already occurred. Shouldn’t we be prioritising other indicators or risk factors — eye movement tremors, or diabetes — the first a direct sign, the latter a highly significant (Hazard Ratio about 9) risk factor — combine the latter with a questionnaire measure of non-motor symptoms and we’d be doing well.

I’m happy for neurologists finally having a chemical test to “confirm” diagnoses but …

Jean Mellano
      Participant

PD diagnosis is so subjective, even diagnosing progression is subjective. We are left to our own devices… 🙁

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2022 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account