• Is drooling manageable?

Posted by DaveM on January 7, 2024 at 12:18 pm

I find my most disgusting and embarrassing symptom is drooling. It strikes at the most inopportune times. I have read that speech therapy helped some folks. I have taken the SPEAK OUT! voice therapy program and continue with its weekly group therapy sessions, but it has had no impact on my drooling. Anyone have anything that has helped them?

Robert Medof replied 3 months, 2 weeks ago 7 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • David

January 9, 2024 at 3:58 pm

I eat a cup of rhubarb/blueberrie sauce every day and take 1 1/3 teaspoon of mannitol when I get up. It helps me have regular bowel movements and my drooling is almost non-existent.

• DaveM

January 11, 2024 at 11:31 am

Thanks for the response. I looked up mannitol and see it’s a diuretic/ pressure reducer. Unfortunately that would probably not be a good match for me because my other medical issues and medications.

• Pap

January 10, 2024 at 6:27 pm

My husband gets the Botox shots from a neurologist every three months. They have helped some and Medicare has paid for them. His drooling gets very bad about three weeks before the next shot. He tries to suck on lozenges to help control the excessive drool. The drooling is one of the worst symptoms he has to deal with.

• DaveM

January 11, 2024 at 11:33 am

Thanks Pap. I will be seeing my neurologist next week and will ask about this.

• Lee1941

January 11, 2024 at 4:46 pm

I use the “Swallow Prompt: Saliva Control” app on my Apple Watch (set on silent mode). Timer can be set from 5 to 500 seconds.

• Julianne Schell

January 11, 2024 at 11:13 pm

This has been a very annoying symptom for my husband as well. I am following this as well and praying for answers and cures.

• Christine

January 12, 2024 at 8:34 am

Hi! I find that chewing gum helps!

• Robert Medof

January 12, 2024 at 10:54 pm

I also heard that that works. I wonder what’s the best gum out there that’s healthy for you with long term usage? Also it would make your jaw muscles get quiet the workout.