Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Treatment Therapies and Medications Interesting fact about generic drugs

• Interesting fact about generic drugs

Posted by Deleted User on June 8, 2019 at 8:13 am

Since brand name Sinemet is no longer available in Long Island, NY, I have been researching generic levodopa/carbidopa.  I found out an interesting fact that concerns me which could impact the efficacy of a generic.

https://www.michaeljfox.org/foundation/news-detail.php?ask-the-md-generic-drugs-and-parkinson

In the USA, the FDA indicates that up to a 20 percent difference in a generic drug’s absorption is acceptable.  This does not sit well with me and I wonder if that is why my symptoms seem to be worsening since I started  the Sinemet generic.  Note that results can also vary among generics and there are several companies that manufacture the generic.

Have you switched from a brand to a generic drug?  If so, did you notice any impact on you symptoms?

Deleted User replied 4 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • victoria-tamorria

June 11, 2019 at 3:03 pm

This is freaking me out. I live in MD and have enough Sinemet for another 2 months.

This drug works well for me—sure hope they keep making the brand name. It’s all about money I guess.

Ill be praying for that!

Vic

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      June 11, 2019 at 3:27 pm

Victoria, have you checked with your local pharmacies to see if they can order it for you?  Perhaps your Dr. can help you stock up.   When I spoke to Merck, I was read a prepared statement that in so many words said one of their suppliers is not able to provide them what they need to make Sinemet, with no ETA.  I am going to call them again.  The obscure online link where Merck documented the Sinemet shortage no longer shows Sinemet in the file.  https://www.merckvaccines.com/INTERSHOP/static/WFS/Merck-MerckVaccines-Site/-/Merck-MerckVaccines-merckvaccines-responsive/-/Order-Vaccines/Documents/files/Backorder_Report.pdf

• Deleted User

Deleted User
        June 13, 2019 at 1:59 pm

On Tuesday 6/11/19, I published an article mentioning this Sinemet situation and referenced the above merckvaccine link .

https://parkinsonsnewstoday.com/2019/06/11/sinemet-has-left-the-building/

when i went to the link, mention of Sinemet was no longer there.  interesting to note, I spoke to my editor and asked if she recalled sinemet being in the document and she said yes she saw it also.  so, it seems that original document was taken down not too long (less than a day maybe) after i published my blog.  i called Merck to ask why the document that mentioned sinemet as backordered  had disappeared. within 30 minutes, the link had a new pdf with the  sinemet info.   go figure…

• victoria-tamorria

June 11, 2019 at 5:09 pm

Thanks also, Jean, for being a champion for  all of us!

• victoria-tamorria

June 11, 2019 at 5:20 pm

Thanks Jean. I’ll be seeing my doc in June. I’ll talk to my pharmacist too. I’ll let you know

Vic

• victoria-tamorria

June 11, 2019 at 5:45 pm

Thanks Jean. I’ll be seeing my doc in June. I’ll talk to my pharmacist too. I’ll let you know

Vic

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    June 12, 2019 at 6:31 am

thank you Victoria..

• jeanne

June 20, 2019 at 7:06 am

I was recently switched from Sinemet to the generic form (we can no longer get it in T.O) and have found that I am experiencing stiffness and shuffling near my next dose and in the later part of my day my dose does not completely remove those symptoms like the original Sinemet did. I take 1-tab 100/25 at 06:30 and 1 tab at 11:30 and ½ tab at 4:30 and again at 9:30 pm. Has anyone experienced this? Did you have to increase your dose/frequency?

Thanks so much

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      June 20, 2019 at 7:15 am

Hi Jeanne.   I do believe the generic is not as effective for me. I am on 25/100 two pills, twice a day. Since I no longer can get sinemet and am taking generics (made by Sun and Mayne) my bradykinesia is worse and my fatigue is very bad.  I am trying to find generic made by Mylan as there was a relationship between Merck and mylan.   http://newsroom.mylan.com/press-releases?item=122513

I am still reeling that that this could happen; e.g. a shortage of a critical drug to maintain quality of life can just disappear off the shelves and manufacturer has no definitive response as to availability.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      June 20, 2019 at 7:15 am

Hi Jeanne.   I do believe the generic is not as effective for me. I am on 25/100 two pills, twice a day. Since I no longer can get sinemet and am taking generics (made by Sun and Mayne) my bradykinesia is worse and my fatigue is very bad.  I am trying to find generic made by Mylan as there was a relationship between Merck and mylan.   http://newsroom.mylan.com/press-releases?item=122513

I am still reeling that that this could happen; e.g. a shortage of a critical drug to maintain quality of life can just disappear off the shelves and manufacturer has no definitive response as to availability.