Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s How often do you see your neurologist?

• How often do you see your neurologist?

Posted by Mary Beth Skylis on August 28, 2023 at 12:38 pm

It seems like Parkinson’s always creates new questions and curiosities. And it can be really easy to come up with reasons to want to chat with your doc whether it’s to gain a deeper understanding of the disease or to put your anxiety to bed. 

How often do you see your neurologist?

Maria in KY replied 7 months, 2 weeks ago 9 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Don Lee

September 1, 2023 at 9:27 am

Every 6 months. I zoom with my internist every 3-4 months. They communicate with each other when they need to.

• Don Backens

September 6, 2023 at 9:36 am

About every 9-12 months unless something drastic happens. I notify them of changes (like I’m losing control of my lower leg) and then he schedules some tests before I see him. I also have DLB.

• Maria in KY

September 7, 2023 at 2:51 pm

Sadly, my neurologist’s office approach to PD care states that the PD patient sees an NP until the disease progresses to stage 4 or 5. I’m grateful I remain in approximately stage 2 for more than 3 years but not happy that I cannot see the neurologist for affirmation and an alternative perspective. I have an appointment and plan to advocate harder for myself. I live in KY where there a very few neuro options so I will work harder to make my situation as ideal as possible.

I’m not looking for maintenance. At this point in my life, I’d like to actively work to hold off progression and work on reducing the impact of symptoms on my daily life. The NP at this practice seems to only be interested in maintenance by renewing prescriptions.

Maria

• JB

September 12, 2023 at 9:36 am

Oh my gosh – you have to be kidding. Can you not find yourself a new Neurologist. That sounds appalling.

• Maria in KY

September 14, 2023 at 5:07 pm

It is appalling, I agree. I don’t have a lot of options living in KY and not driving but I am insisting on seeing the neuro for my upcoming Nov appointment. Thanks for your support. I’ll keep you posted on my efforts to change the office policy.

Maria

• John Wick

September 12, 2023 at 2:06 pm

Every 3 months!!

• William R

September 12, 2023 at 2:55 pm

Roughly every 6 months or sooner if I feel the need.

• Donna L. Bridges

September 12, 2023 at 4:41 pm

My neurologist considers me an outlier because she only needs to see me once a year.

• gbass623

September 12, 2023 at 5:56 pm

I was seeing my movement specialized neurologist twice a year but because I am not deteriorating very fast (thankfully!), I only see him now once a year.