Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Treatment Therapies and Medications How much do you understand about your medication?

• How much do you understand about your medication?

Posted by Ally on July 12, 2019 at 12:33 pm

Medication can be confusing, especially when you’re taking multiple kinds for multiple reasons. Do you feel like you understand all of the medications you’re taking and why? Does your doctor make time for questions about medications during your appointments? Have you found any helpful resources (like websites, books, etc.) that could help others in this community understand PD medications better?

Lou Hevly replied 4 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Lou Hevly

July 29, 2019 at 11:20 am

My GP kids me that I know more about Parkinson’s than she does.

I’ve spent hours researching the three main branches of medication for Parkinson’s: levodopa, agonists and Mao-B inhibitors.

My neurologist answers emails and will change my prescription for me if I give him a rational explanation. An example is I asked him to add Mirapexin to my prescription because I’d read that it is especially effective against Restless Legs Syndrome. The Mirapexin (agonist) is giving me mild edema (a common side effect), but it’s worth it because RLS is much worse.