Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Treatment Therapies and Medications How long does it take for your medications to take effect?

• How long does it take for your medications to take effect?

Posted by Deleted User on October 30, 2019 at 8:31 am

hi shirley, thanks for sharing, i have a feeling everyone will be different on this.  i m still waiting for the 1st med i ever took for PD to take effect LOL

Deleted User replied 4 years, 5 months ago 6 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • shirley-cypher

October 31, 2019 at 1:52 pm

In the morning husbands meds seem to take 1/2 hr to an hour.  He is a basket case in the morning barely able to take meds  and usually just lays back down until breakfast at 9.  Sometimes he does get up and dressed earlier.

• jo-s

November 1, 2019 at 4:19 pm

Jean, that made me laugh out loud.

Shirley, it usually takes about an hour for my meds to kick in, and they wear off about an hour before the next one is due. It’s very frustrating for me, so I can appreciate what your husband goes through. I looked into medical cannabis mainly for this reason — I need something to help me get from one dose to the next. Sometimes (well, most of the time) I feel as though I’m glued together by pills.

• shirley-cypher

November 2, 2019 at 6:44 pm

Jo I am sure my husband feels the same way total meds and supplements a day is 29 taken 4 times a day.

• jo-s

November 3, 2019 at 6:51 am

That’s a lot of pills, Shirley! How long has he been on that many? Is he experiencing side effects?

• shirley-cypher

November 3, 2019 at 8:54 am

Jo most of his pills are supplements.  i.e. -Acetyl Cysteine, turmeric, D3, B12, stool softener, allergy pill etc.  its just been 2 years  since diag but neuralogist says he has probably had it for 9 or 10 years.

• jo-s

November 3, 2019 at 10:34 am

I’m glad they are mostly supplements (that many pharmaceutical drugs would be overwhelming!), Shirley. I was only recently diagnosed (earlier this year), but I’ve had symptoms for 15-20 years (possibly longer).

• lou-hevly

November 7, 2019 at 5:01 am

I take meds according to schedule (sinemet at 08’00, 15’00 and 21’00; Azilecte and Mirapexin at 15’00). Sometimes I’m experiencing symptoms at these times and sometimes not, so it’s not really a question of when they kick in.

BTW, I’ve discovered that, at least for me, it’s not good to take Mirapexin (pramipexol) in the evening because it worsens my insomnia.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      November 7, 2019 at 7:40 am

lou, thanks for sharing.  do you also pay attention to when you eat in terms of when you take your dosages?  eg.  no food at least 2 hours prior to dose or eat no sooner than 1 hour after a dose.

• lou-hevly

November 7, 2019 at 7:46 am

No, but I try to take the sinemet before meals, because its absorption through the intestins can be slowed by the presence of high protein food.

• andrew-l

November 13, 2019 at 8:21 am

1 hour to work if on empty stomach, if with food meds often don’t work nearly as well. Exercise is also medicine for me;  I feel best (sometimes close to normal) when taking meds and then exercising . I find that herbal tea and indica based CBD (sublingual) helps a little as well when body can’t exercise anymore.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      November 13, 2019 at 10:46 am

andrew,

i have been trying to coordinate eating (especially protein) with my c/l dosage eg. no eating at least one hour before dose and no dose sooner than 2 hours after eating.   when i did that, i started to experience dyskinesia, so now i am back to eating whenever i want and ignoring rules about when to take c/l.  has been a week now and no dyskinesia, go figure…  i try to exercise in a.m. every day after morning c/l dose, but fatigue gets in my way.   as for my symptoms, i have no idea what ‘normal’ is like, i still feel like crap 🙁

• lou-hevly

November 13, 2019 at 1:59 pm

The conventional thinking is that the levodopa “competes” with other proteins when penetrating into the bloodstream. Therefore they say to take it at least ten or twenty minutes before ingesting food so it enters the blood more readily. I try to remember to take it before meals, but sometimes I forget and take it after and it doesn’t seem to make much difference. What I do notice is that the symptoms are worse and more frequent the less I sleep.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      November 13, 2019 at 2:49 pm

lou, thnx for jumping in…i have heard pill on empty stomach (at least one hour prior to dose) and eating no sooner than 2 hours before next dose.  i have tried this and also without considerations to when or what i ate. niether seems to make a difference, however, when i controlled timing and eating/dosing, i had dyskinesia episodes..  it is all trial and error for each of us.

• dans

November 21, 2019 at 12:23 am

For me, usually 1 to 1 1/2 hours depending on what I have eaten. I am experimenting with taking the Ld/Cd capsules with carbonated quinine water, coffee, and juice. A faster result is had by emptying the capsule onto a spoonful of applesauce. I keep a daily logbook. For me this is imperative. Have CRS also. ( can’t remember stuff).  A daily log is necessary to document what I have tried and when.

• dans

November 21, 2019 at 12:27 am

I concur with Lou… Protein in the digestive tract consumes, negates Sinemet  and similar.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    November 21, 2019 at 6:03 am

dan, i’ve got CRS too and have been keeping a daily log.  my neuro suggested it as i started to manifest dyskinesia.  I was very strict with taking C/L on empty stomach or no sooner than 2 hours after eating.   lo and behold, no recorded dyskinesia for 10 days.   i also added 1000 mg Vitamin C to my morning dose of C/L to improve absorption. however, my bradykinesia seemed slightly worse.