• How do you manage fatigue?

Posted by mary-beth-skylis on October 17, 2022 at 12:06 pm

One of the most subtle Parkinson’s symptoms that my dad experiences is fatigue. It doesn’t seem to bother him consistently. But when it strikes, he tends to take extra naps and reduce his workload around the house. 

I don’t have Parkinson’s but I do struggle with fatigue as a result of a different condition. And I still find it hard to treat each day differently. Why shouldn’t I be able to perform at the same level every day? It seems like a constant struggle to remind myself that my body can handle changes. 

Do you struggle with fatigue? If so, how do you manage it?

richard cooling replied 1 year, 5 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • richard cooling

October 18, 2022 at 6:34 pm

Hi Mary Beth-
    I wish I had a daughter asking as many questions as you! I am 62 and seven years since diagnosis.

Anyway, fatigue is my worst symptom. Fatigue has many meanings. For me, I mean that I grow so tired I need to lay down for an hour or more, two or more times a day. It’s not constant, but varies from hour to hour. There is little warning, but I can usually feel it coming on. Things like driving, multi-tasking, focusing, physical exertion, excitement, etc. seem to bring it on quicker. Caffeine doesn’t help much and makes me anxious. Pool aerobics makes me feel better than any medicine, but nothing works as well as a nap. Thus, much planning is required for outings and travel because I need a comfortable, quiet place to lay down when it reveals itself.

Another problem is apathy. Even with naps, good sleep, exercise, good diet, and a handful of medications, I am hardly inspired to do anything. Most people don’t understand the great disabling nature of fatigue and apathy.

Somewhere I read (in many years of researching Parkinson’s) the theory that the greatly reduced numbers of neurons (say over 90%) in the basal ganglia region of the brain stem cause the rest of the brain to work much harder, resulting in fatigue, but who knows?

I’m sure you are a great help to your dad.
    Richard

• alan-m

October 27, 2022 at 4:00 pm

Wow Richard!  Reading your latest post is like taking a page out of my daily diary!

Like you, I struggle with fatigue and apathy.  I seem to need a mid-day rest every day now and sometimes I might nap twice in one day — depending on how I cope (or not cope) with what’s going on around me.

The apathy robs me of desire to perform exercises or play me bagpipes.  Even simple practices, like working out with stretchy bands given to me by my Physio, or going for walks, or running on the treadmill — all become a formidable task.  I wish I knew how to better address this apathetic issue.

Any suggestions?

• richard cooling

October 27, 2022 at 6:47 pm

Hi Alan-

Funny how it makes you feel better that someone understands what you are going through.  Anyway, I do have some thoughts on apathy:  First, make sure you are not depressed.  Early on, I read some accounts of depression with apathy as an additional symptom of depression.  I don’t believe I am depressed now because I am happy, etc.  But one thing about PD is your brain chemistry is all screwed up.  Shortly after my diagnosis of PD, I was clinically depressed with high anxiety.  I also had emotional outbursts which were not part of my past history.  So, I spent the summer with a neurologist trying different antidepressants until I found one that treated my depression symptoms with the least side effects.  Years later, I am still on the lowest dose of the antidepressant but feel good.

Once your free of depression, I think you can reduce apathy (but not eliminate it) with exercise–the higher the heart rate the better.  I too hate exercise with rubber bands and I cannot use the treadmill or even walk because my gait has grown so bad.  I’ve tried everything except boxing.  I used to lift weights but I don’t get the same “high” from strength exercises.  Swimming and riding a bicycle is good, but the best for me is aerobics class every day in the warm pool at the YMCA.  The combined effect of loosening and using all my body muscles makes me feel better than any other time of day.

Which brings me back to apathy:  Somehow the endorphins from exercise make me feel better, and when I feel better, I have more interest in the world around me.  So, Alan, that is my suggestion on apathy, and if it makes you feel any better, I’ve had two long naps today!

Kind regards, Richard