Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Treatment Alternative Treatments Have you ever participated in a clinical trial?

• Have you ever participated in a clinical trial?

Posted by Ally on February 19, 2019 at 1:03 pm

Have you ever participated in a clinical trial for Parkinson’s disease, or any other illness for that matter? What was your experience like? If you haven’t participated in a trial before, would you like to? Does participating a trial ever make you feel nervous?

Deleted User replied 5 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Lou Hevly

February 21, 2019 at 11:02 am

I’m participating now in a trial, in Hospital Clínic Barcelona, to measure demència. Every 18 months I go through a series of memory tests, for example, they repeat 15 words at random; how many can you recall? The tests are actually kind of fun, but the MRI scanning is a serious drag: 45 minutes immobile in a machine grinding through a series of horrendous noises ;-). The neurologists carrying out the testing are super sympatic and they make you feel like you’re really contributing something to the system.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    February 21, 2019 at 11:26 am

Lou, how long will the trial last?  I dont think I could remember 15 random words before I had PD LOL.  45 minutes is a long time in an MRI, MRI’s usually dont bother me, but not sure I could withstand 45 minutes..

• Lou Hevly

March 4, 2019 at 2:23 pm

Hi Jean, sorry I haven’t replied, I’m still figuring out how this forum works.

I don’t think there’s a limit; I think it’s just measuring my mental level until there isn’t any left.

Nobody normal gets all 15; remembering 6-8 is about average.

For the MRI they give you a ‘panic’ button to press if it gets to be too much. I try to spend the time imagining myself on a talk show justifying my teaching methods, or planning out my next book. It definitely helps if you can manage to think of something interesting.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    March 4, 2019 at 3:00 pm

yes, I remember getting a panic button in the MRI, have not had to use one yet.