• Has anyone tried Symprove?

Posted by John on July 14, 2021 at 7:45 am

Having read some interesting studies and trials – just wondering if anyone has actually tried it and if it helped with their symptoms?

John replied 2 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Bolt Upright

July 14, 2021 at 5:42 pm

This looks very exciting John! Cuold you please share the studies?

• James Smillie

July 15, 2021 at 7:00 am

Yes John,  I started taking Symprove a year ago after it was recommended by a professor of neurology in London who I consulted about my PD. Apparently it penetrates the lower gut unlike most probiotics.
    I couldn’t say if it has specifically helped my PD symptoms as I started taking Madopar around the same time. However I’m sure it benefits my gut health as I am not bothered by constipation. My wife doesn’t have PD but is also taking Symprove and it has also helped her in the same way so we will both continue taking it. James

• Bolt Upright

July 15, 2021 at 7:38 am
  • Brian Bickers

July 17, 2021 at 12:48 am

I was  interested in Symprove following  an item from Osaka Univ. re tests on Sesame oil. There were other links to Symprove and Butyric acid . Started Symprove Jan 2020, in addition to normal PD med.,resulted in  erratic bowel movements . Contacted Symprove who advised stopping for 2 weeks. normal bowel returned so did not resume  Sym. March 2021, noted favourable reports for Butyrate in forum. As pd symptoms bad at this time decided to try butyrate 2 daily. No benefit noted, pd actually worse but had covid jabs in this period. Stopped butyrate. In desperation at continued ineffectiveness of normal pd med started Symprove again 2 weeks ago.

Brian Bickers

• Brian Bickers

August 7, 2021 at 5:24 am

Update  to my reply of 17 July. I tried Symprove for about 8 weeks  but suffered erratic bowel movements. Contacted Symprove who suggested stopping for 2 weeks which cured the bowel problem. Following some favourable reports, I tried Butyrate (2 per day) and niacin (1/day)but pd symptoms worsened. This may have been due to Covid jabs in same period.  Also some evidence that bowel problems with Symprove may have been coincidental so tried that again. Now 4 weeks in but no noticable effect on pd. One query is that the instructions for Symprove specify one 70ml dose 10 mins before eating or drinking. However, for at least 2 years, I have found it necessary to take an initial dose of levi-dopa (Madopar) 1 hour before rising in the morning to ensure that I can move safely around the house. This would appear to be in conflict withthe Symprove advice.

Brian Bickers

Any comments on this matter would be welcomed.

• James Smillie

August 8, 2021 at 10:29 pm

Yes John,  I started taking Symprove a year ago after it was recommended by a professor of neurology in London who I consulted about my PD. Apparently it penetrates the lower gut unlike most probiotics.
    I couldn’t say if it has specifically helped my PD symptoms as I started taking Madopar around the same time. However I’m sure it benefits my gut health as I am not bothered by constipation. My wife doesn’t have PD but is also taking Symprove and it has also helped her in the same way so we will both continue taking it. As regards timing the recommendation is that you take it before food and I take that to mean any time during  day is fine as long  it is 10 minutes before any food
    James

• James Smillie

August 8, 2021 at 10:31 pm

Yes,  I started taking Symprove a year ago after it was recommended by a professor of neurology in London who I consulted about my PD. Apparently it penetrates the lower gut unlike most probiotics.
    I couldn’t say if it has specifically helped my PD symptoms as I started taking Madopar around the same time. However I’m sure it benefits my gut health as I am not bothered by constipation. My wife doesn’t have PD but is also taking Symprove and it has also helped her in the same way so we will both continue taking it. As regards timing the recommendation is that you take it before food and I take that to mean any time during  day is fine as long  it is 10 minutes before any food
    James

• John

August 17, 2021 at 9:55 am

Thanks for the replies thus far. There was an article written about Symprove recently in these daily updates that first introduced me to the product:
    https://parkinsonsnewstoday.com/2021/07/12/probiotics-alter-gut-microbes-reduce-some-signs-gut-inflammation-parkinsons/

So was just interested if any happened to be taking it already.