• Fatigue and Brain Fog

Posted by elaine-droz on January 10, 2023 at 12:33 pm

I’m a 76 year old woman who has had PD for about two years now. The most problematic issues I’ve experienced are fatigue and brain fog. I also have some tremors. I’ve tried Sinemet for months, but it seemed to cause more problems (e.g., dyskinesia) than it helped with. I’ve been taking LDN for a little over a month now, so still assessing that.

My questions are:
    1 – Has anyone found anything that has worked to reduce fatigue or brain fog?
    2 – Has anyone tried LDN, and if so, what results have you experienced?
    3 – Does anyone have positive experiences with any alternatives to Sinemet?
    4 – Has anyone tried HIFU/MRgFUS for PD Tremors?
    5 – Has anyone tried the experimental glove treatment for tremors?

Thank you!

kathleen-ernst replied 1 year, 3 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • bert-shure

January 10, 2023 at 4:22 pm

Hi Elaine:

I switched to Rytary because of brain fog and afternoon fatigue.

My wife hated it when I would doze off while talking to her in the early afternoon.

I feel that it reduced brain fog as well.

It is a lot more expensive than generic Sinemet, but it works.

I reread your email, and I’ll take a stab at your questions.

My questions are:
    1 – Has anyone found anything that has worked to reduce fatigue or brain fog? Yes, Rytary
    2 – Has anyone tried LDN, and if so, what results have you experienced? No.
    3 – Does anyone have positive experiences with any alternatives to Sinemet? Yes, Rytary.
    4 – Has anyone tried HIFU/MRgFUS for PD Tremors? No.
    5 – Has anyone tried the experimental glove treatment for tremors? No.

Cheers,

Bert

• sherman-paskett

January 10, 2023 at 8:40 pm

For years I have taken Sinemet (carbidopa/levodopa) and Rasageline but last year I was in a fog all the time and struggled to stay awake during the day. The C/L dosage was not sufficient to control the tremor but left me in dyskinesia about 6 hours a day. Off time had grown to 2 hours out of every 4, so about 8 hours a day. The Dr. added Amantadine to the cocktail a few months ago and it is as if the PD clock has been turned back 5 to 8 years.

Sinamet is the gold standard for PD treatment. Rytary is still just carbidopa/levodopa (e.g. Sinamet) in a time-release form. Why it is so horribly expensive is a mystery. Not familiar with LDN. Anyway, Amantadine solved my problem,

Amantadine is added when the C/L dose becomes high enough to introduce dyskinesia before effectively treating tremor. It eliminated off time for me and I rarely notice tremor anymore. I have some mild dyskinesia sometimes in the afternoon, but mostly the PD symptoms are gone. So, you might ask your Dr. if you could give Amantadine a whirl along with your regular C/L dose.

• kathleen-ernst

January 10, 2023 at 9:30 pm

Hi Elaine
    I have not tried any prescription medications other than Sinemet. I did however start taking a prebiotic/probiotic/postbiotic after reading articles about PD and gut health and brain fog. I still have brain fog but not as severe and I’m now on Duloxetine for depression which has increased some energy even though I still struggle with fatigue. The thing that helps me most with fatigue is pacing myself/taking a lot of breaks—I’ll set timers as a reminder to take my breaks.

• kathleen-ernst

January 10, 2023 at 9:30 pm

Hi Elaine
    I have not tried any prescription medications other than Sinemet. I did however start taking a prebiotic/probiotic/postbiotic after reading articles about PD and gut health and brain fog. I still have brain fog but not as severe and I’m now on Duloxetine for depression which has increased some energy even though I still struggle with fatigue. The thing that helps me most with fatigue is pacing myself/taking a lot of breaks—I’ll set timers as a reminder to take my breaks.