• Posted by Ally on September 8, 2020 at 5:02 pm

Parkinson’s can make a person much more prone to falling down, leading to sometimes very serious injuries.

Is this something you deal with often? Have you made any renovations around your home to “fall-proof” it? Do you use a walker or cane to steady yourself? Do you have a medic alert bracelet in case you fall outside your home and need to communicate health information to strangers? Have you found that a consistent exercise regimen or certain medications have helped you prevent falling?

In case you haven’t seen it, a couple of years ago Parkinson’s News Today shared a video in which Heather Knight, a physical therapist, talks about managing the risk of falling. Check it out here.

Marlyne Wilder replied 2 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Marlyne Wilder

October 24, 2021 at 1:40 am

I have fallen down a curb and sprawled in the road. Now my husband and I both say “curb” when we approach one.  I have fallen down my cellar stairs and broken my wrist.  Now I am not allowed near the stairs without supervision.
    Our 4 year old carpeting has just started having rolls in it. We have already made arrangements to have it stretched, hopefully preventing tripping.

I keep my straight cane by my bed for in the morning when I’m stiff and tend to shuffle. Afternoons my cane is by the couch. I have been to estate sales and bought reasonably priced walkers (2), wheelchairs (2) and a shower bench.   I want to be prepared for worsening mobility issues.
    I have an Apple watch programmed with a primary and secondary contact person should I fall. However, I am seldom alone.
    I have no regular exercise program and I don’t know of any medications that are preventing me from falling.