• Dyskinesias when Concentrating

Posted by JB on September 4, 2023 at 5:46 am

Hi everyone,
    A question for my husband on Dyskinesias.
    Does anyone find that whether ON or OFF medications, that when they start to concentrate on reading, speaking to someone, that the Dyskinesias tend to intensify? I’m speaking about head movement dyskinesias only not body.

We have noticed this recently and it doesn’t seem to matter whether fully medded up or Off that it happens.

Thanks for some thoughts on this.

Maria in KY replied 7 months, 4 weeks ago 6 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Dave Goldman

September 5, 2023 at 6:41 pm

Yes, that sometimes happens to me, too. I’ve particularly noticed it during intense concentration; e.g., when undergoing detailed cognitive testing (as part of research studies). Things like “repeat these eight digits backwards.”

• PeggyR

September 5, 2023 at 11:34 pm

Same here. The nerves in my neck get all a-flutter and start to twist, setting my head in motion. The best remedy, I find, is movement, not to concentrate too long in one spot; seems to dissipate the tension.

• Sandra Lodico

September 6, 2023 at 9:35 am

Hi JB

I have Parkinson’s and have noticed extreme dyskinesia when concentrating!  I’m so glad you have brought this up because I have had it for a while now.  My dyskinesia when concentrating affects my whole body, head and shoulders.  It has gotten worse lately.   I was told by a doctor, who I no longer see,  that’s not possible.  I’ve looked on the Internet for information about that but could not find anything. i’ve gotten so bad I can’t re-search things on my iPad anymore.  I am not able to text and I tried to use the microphone because my voice is so shaky it doesn’t understand me most of the time.  This is so frustrating so I wind up  not texting or looking anything up, or I have my husband type it me.(just like this response,he had to type it for me)!

Thank you, JB for sharing your husband’s issue with dyskinesia caused by concentrating. It has made me feel better because I thought I was alone in this.  If  anyone has the same issue or any thoughts on this  or any helpful ideas please let us know.

• Joakim

September 7, 2023 at 2:17 pm

i have the same experience. diagnosed 8 years ago and recently have experienced increased dyskenisia (more head movement and left foot sticking out as a tripping hazard) and dystonia (left foot cramping/curling) when concentrating on singular task requiring finer motor skills.

• Maria in KY

September 7, 2023 at 2:58 pm

I have experienced what you described. For me, it seems I was putting a lot of pressure on myself to show very little of PD, like tremors and dyskinesia to others and I think it was that pressure that created stress and increased these symptoms. Now, I try to go into situations with more confidence and as little self-imposed stress as possible. I do this with meditation and controlled breathing and less self-judgement. I have PD but I still have thoughts and experience to offer and I refuse to measure my value on my physical and speech presentation. This has worked for me. I hope it works for others as well.

Maria