• john-h

May 13, 2021 at 5:40 pm

Yes my mother and her father had Parkinson’s. I share many of the same symptoms of my mother.

• ally

May 13, 2021 at 6:59 pm

Thanks for responding, John. Did you wonder if you would be diagnosed with the disease after your mother was diagnosed? Did you consider genetic testing? If you have children, you have you talked to them about the possibility of also being diagnosed with PD?

• paul-hojuson

May 15, 2021 at 10:43 am

Yes, both myself and one sister tested positive for LARRKS2 mutation. To our knowledge ,no one else has been diagnosed with Parkinson’s.

• ally

May 18, 2021 at 3:39 pm

Hi Paul, thanks for responding. Were you and your sister diagnosed at the same or a similar age? How do your symptoms and disease progression compare?

• clive-varejes

May 18, 2021 at 10:34 am

Hi,

No my immediate family does not and as far as I know no one in my extended family has PD.

However I have subsequently found out that because of my “heritage” I do have a higher than normal predilection to PD

• ally

May 18, 2021 at 3:37 pm

Hi Clive, thank you for sharing. Did you know that your heritage predisposed you for PD prior to your diagnosis or did you find out afterwards?

• clive-varejes

June 2, 2021 at 9:32 am

Hi Ally,

I found out afterwards.

I had spoken to a number of people and organizations involved, specifically the University of Jerusalem and they after some investigation informed me of the link.

And after reviewing their systems, I found he was spot on.

• mace

May 18, 2021 at 2:20 pm

My father had PD but I don’t have similar symptoms.  His head shook but my right hand and foot have tremors.  We are the only ones in my family that have been diagnosed with PD.

• ally

May 18, 2021 at 3:37 pm

Thanks for sharing, Mace. Were you concerned about being diagnosed with PD after your father was? Did you do any testing or was it symptom onset that prompted you to talk to your doctor?

• denise

May 19, 2021 at 4:03 pm

My father’s maternal grandmother had PD. My husband’s maternal grandmother also had PD.

I have three children, and neither they nor do I exhibit any PD symptoms. (Well, I get restless leg,

I assumed that was a menopause gift.)

• ally

June 3, 2021 at 5:32 pm

Hi Denise, thanks for sharing – does anyone in your close circle currently have PD?

• vishal-ghatul

May 28, 2021 at 7:24 am

hi. i think my uncle has it .he never told us or anything.

now that i think about it feel scared if another one in our family will have it.

Therapy For Depression

• ally

June 3, 2021 at 5:31 pm

Hi Vishal, the unknown is scary, but if we stay focused on the present moment, our anxieties won’t let us get carried away. 🙂 This is challenging for me too but it’s important not to worry too much about things we can’t control and don’t know will happen!

• robert-li

May 28, 2021 at 11:48 am

Hi Ally,

I don’t have PD, I have Parkinsonism and cervical dystonia.  After being diagnosed, I realized my father’s disability when he got older was a form of dystonia.  I also realized that my grandfather, who hiccuped for a year, had myoclonus dystonia.  And we all had postural issues when young.

I’ve had general health genetic testing, but not for specific dystonia genes.  Currently I am in remission, which is possible with a small percentage of dystonia patients, but probably less that 5% chance at my age and severity level.  So I’ll credit my remission to the fact that genetics rarely determines fate. The article below is just one illustrative of the importance of environment (in this case, the gut biome).  So in PD there is hope to reduce symptoms (and probably progression rate).  Yeah!

https://parkinsonsnewstoday.com/2021/05/18/fecal-transplants-relieve-parkinsons-constipation-reduce-motor-non-motor-symptoms-small-study-finds/

• ally

June 3, 2021 at 5:30 pm

Thank you for sharing, Robert! I think it’s amazing what we learn when use current information to examine the past, including family history. Thanks for the article.

• phil-gattis

June 3, 2021 at 3:55 pm

My mother had Parkinson’s.

• christian

June 4, 2021 at 12:49 pm

Hi Ally,

my mom has Parkinson and her dad had it as well.

My mom and I did genetic testing but we both do not have the mutation of the LRRK2.