Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Do you have advice for travelling to NYC?

• Do you have advice for travelling to NYC?

Posted by Ally on January 24, 2024 at 6:20 am

Someone I know is travelling to NYC soon and from what I remember about the city, it’s very fast-paced and not very accessible. Does anyone have any advice for making the most out of a visit to NYC for someone with PD/mobility challenges?

Ally replied 2 months, 2 weeks ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Lori DePorter

January 24, 2024 at 2:14 pm

Amtrak!!! I did a column in the red hat service.

• John Wick

January 25, 2024 at 2:40 pm

First of all are you flying, driving, bus or rail??

Secondly, are you plan on going to museums, theater , or central park? If so stay on the west side.

Basically NYC is a walking town. The bustours are legitimate, so you can get off or on. Remember NYC is mostly ADA, on the other hand older rest. didn’t have to update. When theater let’s out sidewalks very crowded for awhile. Times Square very crowded.

Enjoy!! It ain’t cheap!!!

• Ally

February 6, 2024 at 11:57 am

Thanks, John! I’ll be sure to pass these tips on. The individual is flying in and then taking transit or walking once they’re in NYC.

• Lori DePorter

January 24, 2024 at 2:17 pm

https://parkinsonsnewstoday.com/2022/04/21/travel-anxiety-averted-riding-rails/

• Ally

February 6, 2024 at 11:57 am

Thank you, Lori!

• Eve L Howard

February 6, 2024 at 2:14 pm

If it were me (whether I had PD or not), I’d take a cab from airport (La Guardia), have lots of small cash for tips, stay in upper East side, stay out of midtown or lower during rush / peak work hours (going in and getting out), avoid the older village restaurants with crazy stairs in/out or to bathrooms, go to MET and other museums in upper East side, Central Park, walk everywhere, try a NY deli, try Italian, go to Algonquin, Waldorf, Library, Teddy Roosevelt’s childhood house, go to bookstores, have a drink at the Carlton, stay in if slick/sleet/ice or take cabs, tip grandly, ask for help when needed. Walk briskly if you can, bundle up, good-good-good walking shoes.

• Ally

February 13, 2024 at 3:24 pm

Your approach to visiting NYC sounds awesome, Eve, thank you for sharing!

• Harvey Silikovitz

February 6, 2024 at 2:40 pm

I live and work in Manhattan and am about 4.5 years into my diagnosis (and it’s been about 5 1/2 years since a previous neurologist SHOULD have diagnosed me). I’m lucky that my main physical symptom so far is dystonia – my leg will cramp up and I’ll have to rest up from walking for several minutes, and this typically happens late at night and/or when I haven’t been exercising enough for several days. What are the specific mobility challenges that this person faces?