Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Research DBS Meets Expectations for Patients with Parkinson’s Disease

• Mark

June 23, 2022 at 2:24 pm

Very dear friend of mine had DBS on February 28, 2022. He had a brain stem bleed from the surgery and is still in a coma

• Gauri

July 18, 2023 at 12:22 pm

I have had a DBS done 👍 nearly two and half months ago and experiencing lesser dependency on medicine. But all my friends out there who are planning to do DBS I definitely have something to tell you. I am still not feeling normal. My head is minutely aching most of the times in the morning and the stretched feeling inside head which started post surgery hasn’t gone yet; though has subsided. Guys ⚠️ warning! Those who can tolerate pain during surgery can go for it….do not be scared…. because the benefits outweigh the drawback

• Nick

July 18, 2023 at 4:40 pm

Had Medtronic DBS 2016 for rapid progression symptoms.  Developed a pseudomonas generator pocket infection and whole device and parts removed.  8 months later Had an Abbott St Jude’s which offered a wider variation of functions.  48 hours post op had a grand mal seizure from a 5 cc bleed in or near the brainstem.  no long term complications although we are wondering now about possible partial complex seizures, worsening double vision and swallowing difficulties.  I was a little disappointed in the outcome.  Though I had nothing but kudos for the neurosurgeon, my proglem was finding a neurologist skilled in programming the DBS to get maximal benefit.  I still feel there is  a bunch more potential.

My advice to anyone getting a DBS is to do it!  But line up a good programmer first!  I have ended up with a PA who is doing my programming for the last 6 months.  She is sharp and I think she has had experience and knows what she is doing.  Certainly, seems better than 2b MDs I have had.

• J. Gottlob

July 18, 2023 at 10:05 pm

Had Boston science installed 7/2020,  surgery went fine until my brain on the right slumped and they missed the sweet spot
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>New Neutologist wonders why I had it done.   Sa y s I would not have been a candidate for it.  So…</p>

• J. Gottlob

July 19, 2023 at 12:02 am

<p style=”text-align: right;”>Had Boston science installed 7/2020,  surgery went fine until my brain on the right slumped and they missed the sweet spot</p>
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>New Neutologist wonders why I had it done.   Sa y s I would not have been a candidate for it.  So…</p>