• Burning Mouth Syndrome

Posted by melba-w-benson on November 12, 2019 at 10:16 am

Has anyone else been diagnosed with Burning Mouth Syndrome?  The specialty dentist I went to had me to change to Crest for Kids toothpaste, Crest Scope Mouthwash, Biotene Gel, and Biotene Mouthwash.  Also I take three Mycelex troches per day and one Alpha Lipoic Acid 600 per day.  Still I get so bad around 10:00 p.m. that my mouth puckers up and I can barely talk.  If anyone has Burning Mouth Syndrome and has suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

Deleted User replied 4 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    November 12, 2019 at 1:12 pm

hi melba,

that sounds awful, never heard of it, does your dr. relate it to PD issue?

• melba-w-benson

November 12, 2019 at 1:23 pm

Yes, Jean, my doctor does relate it to PD.  I am hoping someone out there has some suggestions.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      November 12, 2019 at 1:29 pm

wow, is there anything pd doesnt cause??  i saw this article and it seems some think there is a levodopa connection.  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3311832/

i hope you can find someone to share info with..

• melba-w-benson

November 12, 2019 at 3:16 pm

Jean, I am beginning to think that anything can happen. Thank you so much for sending the article about the burning mouth levadopa connection. This is one I hadn’t seen. My neurologist has indicated that my symptoms are not yet bad enough to take carbidopa/levadopa. As I read the side effects of Pramipexole, they sound about as bad as the side effects from carbidopa/levadopa. One other thing which has happened to me is that my upper lip began disappearing into my lower lip. On November 27, 2018, the Chairperson of the Department of Plastic Surgery at UT Southwestern in Dallas performed Erbium laser treatment on me. My new lips look wonderful, but that area of my face still has some red spots almost a year later. The plastic surgeon says he has never performed this on someone who didn’t heal. Also, a sinus MRI revealed that saliva was being taken from my mouth and was running out my nose. The Chairperson of Otolaryngology at UT Southwestern performed a nasal procedure on me referred to as a Clarifix (Stryker) on September 11, 2019. When I returned for a checkup, I estimated that my nasal running had improved only about 25%. The otolaryngologist then put me back on a nasal rinse, followed by Fluticasone Nasal Spray, with Ipatropium Bromide Nasal Spray .06% before each meal. He will recheck me in 6 months. So far, I still have problems with nasal running. All my symptoms get worse as the day goes on. Yes, I am certainly hoping someone will have some information about any of these areas that would help me.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      November 12, 2019 at 5:51 pm

melba,

i am so sorry to hear of your struggles.    the side effects of pd drugs  (like most rx drugs) are horrible.  however, not everyone experiences them and in my case and many others, the nausea side effect of carbidopa/levodopa passed over time (with the help of peppermint oil for me)

as for laser , years ago, a dermatologist used laser to remove my broken capillaries, however, i had a reaction (my face swelled up very badly) the doctor had never seen before…

we all have our own tortuous journeys with this disease and i hope you find some relief. you have more than your fair share…